PDA

View Full Version : Is this H. Erectus?

Krustylove
08/04/2006, 04:22 PM
Opps, got these guys home to discover they are wild caught?!? The packer wrote them up as Reidi but they are obviously to me-not...they do look like H. Erectus but I wanted everybody else’s 2 cents worth :p In the meantime I have my work cut out for me trying to get these guys to eat-knew right away when I got home and saw the low price for them on the packing slip
what a bummer for these little guys if they don't take to "city life"
In the pictures they look kinda sleek like Reidi but they are really thick chested and the smaller one has ceri on its bonet
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/krustylove80/Wildcaught2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/krustylove80/Wildcaught.jpg

ReefNutPA
08/04/2006, 07:25 PM
They do look like Erectus. Unfortunately, if they are indeed wild-caught you have a multitude of issues. First is, it appears you put them directly into the main tank instead of quarantining them. Bad move with wild-caughts...especially wild-caught Erectus.

Secondly, it's very common for wild-caught seahorses to harbor internal as well as external parasites. IMO, if they are indeed wild-caught you need to FW dip them as well as deworm them. After that..watch them very carefully and get your meds ready for the future.

Sorry I can't offer a more positive opinion.

Tom

Krustylove
08/04/2006, 09:50 PM
I know, freshwater dip, and that is what they got-and would you believe this is my QT tank? I harvested my reef tank refugium to put some pods in this tank with all the algae. These guys needed a place to hitch onto (the current was just sweeping them around the tank like Dorothy in a tornado) so it was out to the garage to dig through countless aquarium supplies & dig up the decorations. I haven't come across treating for worms before-seen it done on documentaries but what would you suggest? I have some hydrox from Carol at fish to the nth; I got it to kill bristol worms? Thanks again for your help.

hydroid
08/05/2006, 01:43 AM
Do you plan on eventually putting these in with your cb horses? If so, probably not a good idea. WC horses can be carriers of diseases without showing any signs of illness. They build an immunity over generations in the wild. CBs usually don't have such immunities.

Also, can you turn down the flow in your QT? They shouldn't have to stay hitched to stay safe.

Krustylove
08/05/2006, 09:04 AM
Yes,
I was planning to put these guys in the display tank-but you are right, and now I am dusting off all of my seahorse books for a "refresher course". The CB are so easy I treat them like the rest of my fish...anyways I have been thinking about setting up a low maintenance set-up with sponge filters and my garage if full of more discarded fish tanks than anything else ; ) I need to re-read my books because it is all coming back to me now "They build immunity over generations in the wild." The pump that came with the Nano cube does not have a ball valve on it but I have one that does and a smaller pump that would just circulate the water gently. Also Q: for Reef Nut-"especially wild-caught Erectus", you have peeked my curiosity, what kind of a reputation do Erectus have? I have only been keeping SHs for 2 yrs, thanks guys for your help

seahorsedreams
08/05/2006, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you are already aware of the added risk for mixing WCs and CBs (there is also an added risk of adding CB from different sources, however a lesser one I admit). If it's a route you want to go make sure you have all your meds bought beforehand and put the WCs through prophylactic deworming and lengthy quarantine.

You will need to provide a lesser water flow than you have presently. Adding hitches is not the answer (albeit essential in any SH tank). They will stress at not being able to move freely around the tank if they run the risk of being blown around as you described.

And yes, they are erectus.

ReefNutPA
08/05/2006, 10:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7883528#post7883528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Krustylove
Also Q: for Reef Nut-"especially wild-caught Erectus", you have peeked my curiosity, what kind of a reputation do Erectus have?

For many hobbyists, when Erectus were mixed with other species the other species didn't fare well (ie: they died). It's happened quite a number of times to different hobbyists. While there isn't 100% scientific proof of it... it appears Erectus MAY carry a certain strain of ''something" that they are immune to but other species are not. On the other hand, it could be purely coincidental that after adding Erectus to established tanks with other species the Erectus thrive but the others develop problems.

When you have the time, if you do a search on this website, syngnathid.org and seahorse.org you'll find numerous posts discussing the mixing of species and specific posts about problems hobbyists had when mixing Erectus with others.

Again, some hobbyists have had no problems....others have. It's just something you should be aware of should you decide to add to your seahorse tank.

Others, such as Seahorsedreams, could explain in much more detail or correct me if my statements aren't fully accurate. I've never mixed Erectus with other species...but there are plenty of more experienced people reading these boards that can offer more insight.

Tom

Puffer Queen
08/06/2006, 10:23 AM
I agree with Tom & Renee (seahorsedreams).

They are erectus.

I definitely do not recommend mixing wild caught with captive bred - this is a set up for disaster/disease/death.

Krustylove
08/06/2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone, I will check out the other sites-and this situation is exactly why it is so important to buy captive breed seahorses...what a bummer-not the end of the world, but just a bummer. After "CITIES" I didn't think anyone (wholesellers & LFS) carried wild caught, but I guess the all mighty dollar always rules out over ethics.

panmanmatt
08/06/2006, 11:16 AM
CITIES does not restrict WC specimens native to a country. For example, erectus and zostrae are native to our waters so CITIES does not restrict their trade at all. For other species such as kuda, reidi, and others a CITIES permit is required to get them into our country.

That is one of the main reasons folks outside the US can't get erectus or zostrae.

Krustylove
08/06/2006, 02:30 PM
Thats true, but what I ment to say was that CITIES makes WC harder to get because of the size restrictions placed on selling them; but got point really. Also wow, I didn't know others can't get erectus or zostrae?!? Learn something new everyday.

agilis
08/09/2006, 09:03 AM
Just a few comments:

It's spelled CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species).

Erectus is very widely distributed, and is common welll outside the borders of the US, so other nations certainly can and do have access, especially non-signatories of CITES and other nations in which they naturally occur. US Fish and Wildlife regs are what govern interstate movement of protected species, not CITES. State and local regulations are generally of more significance to retailers and aquarists

Reidi is found in US territorial waters, in substantial numbers. Those in the pet trade have usually been imported, but many are collected in Florida, and sometimes much further north.

CITES import/export size regulations have nothing whatsoever to do with the legality of pet store sales.

Virtually all living creatures have parasites, including all of us who post on this site, wild seahorses, CB seahorses, parasites, and Barko The Talking Dog. This may not mean very much in terms of mortality. I suspect that many captive seahorses die beause most aquarists are inept, as well as sadly misinformed. Keeping seahorses is not rocket science. Neither is raising orchids. Both require skill and committment.

Krustylove
08/09/2006, 11:54 AM
Agilis,
Seeing that you do some diving and collecting of your own, would you say it is O.K. for me to go to my local tide pools and collect live food for my horses without any problems of introducing disease (I did hear you when you said most problems are related to poor husbandry/inexperience)? I know you are correct about every living organism having parasites-that’s just the way the food web crumbles...but it is so ingrained in me to quarantine and all that other jazz. Anyways thanks for your help, I am glad there people like yourself still in the hobby who have so much experience in marine organisms and fish keeping. I am thinking I need to isolate my male who is not eating and just chance giving him some live food from the tide pools as he is starting to look sucked up and would not eat the live brine I keep offering him last night? Thanks again

agilis
08/09/2006, 03:00 PM
Erectus are aggressive hunters, actively seeking prey. Older fish are thoroughly conditioned to seek food attached to or hidden in structure and substrate. Free swimming food may be unfamiliar to mature erectus. Reidi, in contrast, tend to let food items come to them.

I'd certainly use natural food if it's available. Porous rock, mussel encrustations, tube worm clusters, etc, are most attractive. I've seen erectus make a beeline for these things. Some undesirables, like small crabs, may be a problem, but they can be removed later. Dispose of these chunks of seafloor after a few days, especially if there are bivalves attached. Don't worry too much about parasites. Your pics seem to show healthy adult fish, and they look like erectus to me. Good luck.

Krustylove
08/09/2006, 04:11 PM
OHHHH, of course-
There is a difference b/w the feeding habits of Reidi & Erectus. That explains a lot! My male Erectus does hunt all day long in the macro algae I provided, he just was so disinterested when the turkey baster came his way, however his mate snicked up the brine right out of the water column...just like my Reidi do-that is what confused me, thanks again for all your help-I sure am going to have fun at the beach tomorrow ;)