PDA

View Full Version : true black sebae wanted

lawboy888
08/05/2006, 09:54 PM
this may not be the right place but probably the best to get this infor....by chance do you guys know where one can find a small one?....to pair up....my big female jumped...:(...thanks

dantodd
08/06/2006, 03:49 AM
I've seen a lot of really nice black sebae lately. One of the LFS around here had 4 of them. I was really tempted but not having a place to put them saved me.

lawboy888
08/06/2006, 04:04 AM
would you mind giving me the name of the shop and their phone number?...thanks...cant find them anywhere

traveller7
08/06/2006, 08:18 AM
What exactly is a "true black sebae"?

dantodd
08/06/2006, 09:45 AM
I was assuming he meant a black and white variant of A. sebae.

I won't bother posting the name of the shop since they don't ship. Especially $14 fish.

BTW Scott, my wife is in your neighborhood this week.

traveller7
08/06/2006, 10:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7888170#post7888170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dantodd
I was assuming he meant a black and white variant of A. sebae.

I won't bother posting the name of the shop since they don't ship. Especially $14 fish.

BTW Scott, my wife is in your neighborhood this week. I rarely see such a version of A. sebae, if I have ever seen one. Most have been A. clarkii or A. polymnus.

Hopefully it is a bit cooler this week for her and she travels safe :)

dantodd
08/06/2006, 04:37 PM
I should have grabbed some pics. Very holotypical body shape and slight slant to the middle bar with white fringing all the across the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the rear dorsal. The tail had a V shaped look to it with a black wedge and white on the top and bottom. Very cool looking. That or they were long black and white gasters which I would never ever imagine finding... :D

traveller7
08/06/2006, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7890129#post7890129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dantodd
I should have grabbed some pics. Very holotypical body shape and slight slant to the middle bar with white fringing all the across the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the rear dorsal. The tail had a V shaped look to it with a black wedge and white on the top and bottom. Very cool looking. That or they were long black and white gasters which I would never ever imagine finding... :D Sound like Phil Henders specimens. Have not seen any on the east coast :(

Gasters, well I get to see them every day ;>)

dantodd
08/06/2006, 09:25 PM
They are quite attractive fish. Now if I could just get tanks set up to try and start actually raising fry. I have a nest I'm waiting for right now. No lights and circulation is off. Next it's on to ocellaris to "hopefully" pay some bills then Chrys, 'gripes or akins.

edit: sorry for the complete hijack.

phender
08/06/2006, 10:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7890129#post7890129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dantodd
I should have grabbed some pics. Very holotypical body shape and slight slant to the middle bar with white fringing all the across the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the rear dorsal. The tail had a V shaped look to it with a black wedge and white on the top and bottom. Very cool looking. That or they were long black and white gasters which I would never ever imagine finding... :D

The white on the top and bottoms of the tail would make them polymnus. Some polymnus have a tail bar and some don't.
A black tailed sebae would have no white but possible a trace of yellow.

Here is the female that I gave to Morgman a while back.
By the time Morgman got her she had lost all the yellow on her tail.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/67981gSebaePair2.jpg

phender
08/06/2006, 10:07 PM
Hit wrong button

dantodd
08/06/2006, 10:08 PM
hmmm.... interesting because these look exactly like yours but the yellow on your fish's tail was larger and white, Exactly the same shape though. Polymnus I've seen usually have white around the edges. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if they're still there.

phender
08/06/2006, 10:10 PM
Could Lawboy888 actually be asking about black and white clarki clowns rather than true sebae (A. sebae)?

dantodd
08/06/2006, 10:21 PM
lol, got so far off track talking about sebae I never thought about the possiblity that he wasn't really looking for them.

Lawboy, are you looking for a fish like the one Phil posted or one of these:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/images/BlackPerculaWMC_U28.jpg

phender
08/07/2006, 09:51 AM
I thought he might be asking about something more like this.
http://www.ultimatereef.net/photopost/data/2/617Clown1.jpg

dantodd
08/07/2006, 10:38 AM
how you typed clarki and I read ocellaris I'll never know... LOL...

lawboy888
08/09/2006, 01:15 AM
thanks guys for the response..never thought it is so hard to get the little guy...it looks like Phenders' picture...mine has two white stripes..all black..the middle stripe extends into the dorsal....i got the pair from Prem aquatics...but my large female jumped...my little guys is lonely:) i know they are pretty common..but is has to be the black one "true sebae"...otherwise they would be brown..thanks

phender
08/09/2006, 10:35 AM
I am still a little confused as to what you have. A picture would help. The term sebae is often mis-used. A. sebae will often start out with a yellow tail and develop a black tail later in life depending upon conditions. Either way they are not always easy to find. Live Aquaria sometimes has them available and are pretty good about making proper IDs.