PDA

View Full Version : Neon moonlight or LED's? anyone seen both?

j_v_z
08/05/2006, 11:37 PM
hello gys and girls, has anyone ever seen both a LED moonlight and a neon moonlight? if so which did you like better? ive been thinking about this one way too hard, need to come up w/a solution soon! if anyone has any further info on wiring a neon w/a dimmer please let me know, (this should be able to be done with a voltage regulator correct?)

druce
08/06/2006, 07:56 AM
I would think the Neon would be like a blacklight of sorts - I've run two LED setups, - they seem to provide a cone of focused light, as far as an LED on a dimmer, I am not sure - digging back to my electronic tech days I think an LED (or Light Emitting Diode) can't really be "dimmed" - it's pretty much an all or nothing type of system.

If you wanted to build a "dimming system" you could cluster various voltage LED's and turn them on in succession, as in lowest to highest to get the dark to bright dimming effect.

Anyone out there wanna back me up before I end up saying something stupid?

anyway, that's my 2cents fwiw

DamnDamsel
08/06/2006, 09:36 AM
There are a few threads going about new LED lighting(main reef lights). They are dimmable so it can be done. How I've no clue. I think I saw the lights for sale from one of teh sponsers.

Edit* A couple of posts below yours was a thread about them. http://www.solarisled.com/

druce
08/06/2006, 09:55 AM
wow, that looks really cool

too bad it's really pricy

j_v_z
08/06/2006, 10:59 AM
yes, they are pricy, anything store bought is expensive!

Coral Dilema
08/06/2006, 02:08 PM
Use Pulse Width Modulation to 'dim' the LEDs. run them at about 2KHz and vary the duty cycle from 1 to 100%. You are not actually dimming them, you are just turning them on and off 2000 times a second which is faster than the human eye can detect. This can be done with LEDs because they can turn on and off thousands of times a seconds where a normal light bulb cant react that fast.

j_v_z
08/06/2006, 02:46 PM
wierd! thanks!