PDA

View Full Version : cucumbers+jawfish = trouble?

Earl45
08/06/2006, 05:07 AM
I'd like to get a blue spotted jawfish for my new tank, and I'd also like to get a tiger tail cucumber or two.

I know the jawfish likes to make a little cave out of some rubble and pebbles and such, and they are sensitive creatures as to it's home.

So would a tigertail cucumber upset it too much? Or would they sense the jawfish home and move on? Or woudl the jawfish not think it's a big deal?

I don't want to stress out the jawfish by having a clean up crew guy wreck his house.

Thanks!

TheMcs
08/06/2006, 10:39 AM
I don't see it being an issue. We've got a blue spot jawfish in one of our display cubes. Each week when that system is cleaned his "home" is rearranged. He seems PO'ed about it, but then goes right back to work making a new one. Awesome fish with great personality. Just be sure your rock is stable enough to withstand excavation beneath it. Not a cheap fish to lose in a landslide.

schristi69
08/06/2006, 04:17 PM
And make sure you have a cover. They like to jump.

t12ip0d
08/06/2006, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7890026#post7890026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schristi69
And make sure you have a cover. They like to jump.

yeah thats what i heard also

Scottkelly911
08/06/2006, 08:35 PM
Blue Spotted Jawfish are absolutely one of the coolest fish with one of the biggest personalities in the hobby, not to mention they're beautiful. Like has already been said, make sure your rockwork is really secure and you have ALL areas that he could fit through are covered (Sorry open top guys, this fish isn't for you unless you use some screen). I used to have one back when I had my 125 Reef and he dug holes all over the place, then he'd forget about it and move on to a new home after about 3-4 weeks. He'd leave holes all over and that's when I was thankful that I put the rocks in before the live sand. I found him on the ground twice before I finally put some screening over the top. Once I had to race my cat, luckily I won. They're surprisingly long lived fish, however they're not the heartiest of all fish,so keep your water extremely clean. They are easily spooked (thus the carpet diving problems), so choose tankmates wisely. Enjoy him, he'll be your favorite fish in no time!