PDA

View Full Version : quick sump/refugium question

rmills
08/06/2006, 01:18 PM
I think I have It correct but I just want to make sure before I put this together. The first section is the intake from the display tank, then baffles over under over, then refugium area, then over under baffles, then skimmer and return pump to display tank. Is this correct?
Any help Is appreciated.

bkwudzjeep
08/06/2006, 01:24 PM
The skimmer should be before the fuge so it doesn't take/skim out anything that should be entering your tank from the fuge (pods).

kraze3
08/06/2006, 01:49 PM
I just want to add that my baffles go under over under. Seems to make more since seeing as there is less chance of air bubbles sinking twice than rising twice

rmills
08/06/2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah I guess it does.

latazyo
08/06/2006, 05:06 PM
yep, kraze3 has it...bubbles can only escape when you force the water down...make it go down twice and up only once and you'll double the bubble removal...sorry for the double bubble rhyming

dpstrand
08/07/2006, 12:26 AM
The only problem with u-o-u is that the water level in the skimmer side will fluctuate with evaporation. Add another over baffle if you can fit it, or just go with the typical o-u-o configuration.

latazyo
08/07/2006, 10:08 AM
another good point by dpstrand....maybe the 4 baffle system is ideal

ambaratur
08/07/2006, 10:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7892566#post7892566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dpstrand
The only problem with u-o-u is that the water level in the skimmer side will fluctuate with evaporation. Add another over baffle if you can fit it, or just go with the typical o-u-o configuration.

I do not think this statement is correct. As long as the baffle group includes an "over" baffle you should be ok. The only way the skimmer section would fluctuate with evaporation is if you had only "under" baffles between it and the return section.

cmacld
08/07/2006, 10:49 AM
just a thought, something that i will be doing on my next sump. Make sure that you leave enough space in your return section that you can do a water change by draining the return section, IE. if you want to do a 10 gallon water change, make sure that your return section will be able to hold atleast 10 gallons, just attach a drain valve in the section, that way you can shut down the system, drain your return section, and then refill with fresh Saltwater, Makes life quite easy, no more siphon!!! Yeah! Just a thought.

seanb
08/08/2006, 12:15 AM
cmacld, I am new at this. Could you explain how the drain is plumbed to your sump? Is it elevated so it drains by gravity? Sounds like a drain would make water changes easier, but I can't picture how it works.