PDA

View Full Version : reef safe pufferfish?

lottie_pufferfi
08/06/2006, 07:40 PM
are there any reef safe puffers or tobys out there?? how about triggers?

swimboy123
08/06/2006, 09:36 PM
niger trigger as long as you don't give em feeder fish

swimboy123
08/06/2006, 09:38 PM
Also blue throat triggers are generally considered "safe"

lottie_pufferfi
08/07/2006, 12:10 AM
why is this? what makes them considerd reef safe anyways? like just because they dotn eat coral?
im really ecited now becasue this is a hole new option for my custimers at the marine store i work at, still learning. and will reseach this alot more before i give it as an option. and really niger triggers are reef safe!!

pitt_prodigy
08/07/2006, 12:19 AM
I have a 4" niger in my reef tank and he gets along with everbody else fine. Never bothers corals. BUT he is a VERY aggressive feeder and has been known to spit water at my eyes when i open the tank. He is also the prime suspect in the disappearance of most of my cleaning crew. Every once and a while i see him carrying a snail or hermit shell around in his mouth.

To conclude, they are "reef safe" in that they wont bother corals.... however be prepared to restock your cleaning crew often.

RichConley
08/07/2006, 08:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7892545#post7892545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pitt_prodigy
I have a 4" niger in my reef tank and he gets along with everbody else fine. Never bothers corals. BUT he is a VERY aggressive feeder and has been known to spit water at my eyes when i open the tank. He is also the prime suspect in the disappearance of most of my cleaning crew. Every once and a while i see him carrying a snail or hermit shell around in his mouth.

To conclude, they are "reef safe" in that they wont bother corals.... however be prepared to restock your cleaning crew often.

People need to stop making assumtions about a fishes behavior when its still a juvenile. You have a 4" fish. He may not bother anything right now, but that doesnt mean hes not going to when hes 16"+

I really doubt ANY fish that large is going to be completely reef safe.

jmaneyapanda
08/07/2006, 11:20 AM
like lottie said, what is reefsafe? just not eating corals? or not eating inverts and cleanup? or not eating fish? or not eating plankton? that term is really too individual to have a formal definition.

lottie_pufferfi
08/07/2006, 11:27 AM
well, im asumming reef safe exludes plantionic eaters, lol, that would be corals.
so now this niger triger
and blue throat triggers