PDA

View Full Version : Brown Jelly Disease?

hansonfam
08/06/2006, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone.

I have a large frogspawn which i think has brown jelly. I first noticed about 2 weeks ago that it was sending out some long brown strands out of its mouth. So i honestly thought it was waste. Then yesterday i noticed that it was starting to look bleached.So now after some research that must be it expelling it's Zoonethelle (SP).Then after some more research and speaking with my lfs they sold me some of warner marine researches lugols plus iodine solution. And i followed directions and added the proper amount to my sump. Now people have talked about dipping them but there are no instructions for this. And i am not seeing any "Jelly" per say and the coral is full and open just bleached. Does this indeed sound like Brown Jelly? And should i dip it ? And how do i do that if it has no instructions to do so?

Thanks for all your help.

Lisa

hansonfam
08/07/2006, 07:02 PM
anybody????

Bcollins111900
08/07/2006, 07:14 PM
Try to move it to a shady spt in the tank. Sounds like it is bleaching for some reasonagain . If it is full I would not dip it just yet. It should start to color up after a few weeks in a semi shady spot.

Justin74
08/07/2006, 07:54 PM
No need to dip. Iodine is just to help fight against infection. Yours clearly from your description is indeed just finished dumping out all its zooxanthella, mine did the same, theres a pic I posted no more than a page back or less showing what it looks like when that happens,glassy. Feeding is going to be essential for this guys survival IMO untill it naturally recovers more zooxanthella to aid in its health/nutrition.

Not everyone is successfull with spot feeding for various reasons, but Id still suggest trying tiny bits of mysis or other meaty foods you may have. You may also want to consider supplementing with foods like bioplankton, rotifers, and or cyclopeeze. Basically keep the food flowing but the water clean, the hobbies perpetual challenge ;)

Good Luck!

-Justin

Justin74
08/07/2006, 07:57 PM
Btw, they call it brown jelly because it looks like just that. But instead of it being expelled like what your seeing, its actually on the tissue, and along the skeleton where tissue meets, basically a jellish decay.

-Justin

hansonfam
08/07/2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the responses. Okay we'll i tried to feed it some mysis and it all just floated away. It has still been expelling it's zooxanthella all day. It is still open but is looking pretty white. Can i try and feed it some really small piesces of silversides? That is about all that i have other than the mysis to feed it tonite and i would like to try to start nursing it back.

And i will move it into a more shady area as it is about a 1/4 of the way up the rocks and my tank is only 18 inches high.
Oh yah and i don't see any Jelly on it either. No where on the tissue or around the base where it meets the stock.

Thanks
Lisa