PDA

View Full Version : Equipment order

crackyflipside
08/07/2006, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, first post here. My cousin got me interested in this hobby with his super small 15g tank with a few fish and anemone.

I was just wondering what is the order for putting in all the equipment.

Let's say you have a pretty normal sized tank, 55g, and a 15 gallon refugium. Your equipment is a filter w/pump, chiller, protein skimmer, and powerhead. In what order are all these installed in?

nickterp
08/07/2006, 09:28 AM
Basically you can hook up all the equipment at the same time. Then put your mixed water in the tank, substrate and live rock. Turn all the equipment on.

I would buy the book The Conscientious Marine Aquariast by Robert Fenner. He has some examples of simple setups and step by step directions on starting a tank. As well as a good thorough introduction to Saltwater fish for the beginner.

Good luck!

crackyflipside
08/07/2006, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7893801#post7893801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nickterp
Basically you can hook up all the equipment at the same time. Then put your mixed water in the tank, substrate and live rock. Turn all the equipment on.
Good luck!

I know about having it running, I am just asking about the order of the equipment.

For example:

Tank-> Filter w/ pump-> Protein skimmer-> Chiller-> Powerhead-> Tank

Is that the right order for the water flow?

nickterp
08/07/2006, 10:00 AM
Ohhh, had no idea you meant water flow order, sorry ;). I would need to some more info on what your "filter" is, etc to give you an order exactly. Also, is your skimmer a hang-on-back or in-sump skimmer??

One example that most people have for order of water flow is the following:
-Water from Tank flows through overhang or pre-drilled holes in tank
-This water flows down to a sump's first chamber
-Water in first chamber is processed by the Skimmer
-Water from first chamber then overflows into second middle chamber
-In middle chamber is a return pump (and maybe a heater, etc)
-return pump pumps water back to tank and/or refugium
-Refugium can be a third chamber that gets some of its water from the return pump and then overflows back into the second chamber
-water is also flowing back into the tank at the same rate its being drained out of the tank

As for powerheads.... those usually just attach to tank walls inside the tank. They don't get fed water from a hose or tube, they just blow water around inside the tank for extra flow

Check out Melev's sumps/refugiums for examples: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

By the way, a book is still a good idea for your first tank, just because it WILL save you money from mistakes. It can get very difficult to keep Saltwater tanks.... but not if you have some knowledge ahead of time. Then it can be very simple and enjoyable :). Good luck!