PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue Tang

bayside795
08/07/2006, 11:32 AM
Just finished cycling my 60 gal FOWLR tank. I bought a Powder Blue as my first fish on the recommend of the owner of the LFS.

Was this a good choice or should I reconsider? He has been in the tank two days and is doing fine but I don't want to sacrifice this beautiful fish if there is no chance of him making it.

I am using a wet dry and a protein skimmer.

Thank you

SDguy
08/07/2006, 03:02 PM
I'm not a member of the tang police by any means, but 60g is a bit on the small side for this fish long term. They just seem to stress too easily in smaller tanks. The bigger ploblem is that they are mean, and it WILL attack all new fish added to the system. I'd let him settle in, make sure he's fat and healthy, then trade him back in for something more appropriate. JMO.

hth

tangyreefer05
08/07/2006, 04:53 PM
i decided not to get a tang because my 90g I thought in long term might make it crowded, especially with other fish. I've always viewed them as needed 90+ min. but there are many people out there that have pbt and yellows in 55 and they do good. However PBT do get large (10"+), so you really might want to reconsider your LFS owners choice.

Titan*69
08/07/2006, 07:36 PM
IMO PBT's belong in nothing less than an 8' tank; extremely active fish.

jmicky41
08/07/2006, 09:13 PM
I had one for a brief time. That sucker was nervous and MEAN. It would flash at long established fish. When it wasn't acting up; it would pace back and forth. My tank is 5 foot long, and I thought it wasn't enough. On the plus side these are gorgeous fish and mine acclimated quickly. Although acclimation and ich are often a problem.

thor32766
08/08/2006, 10:32 AM
yes, let him settle for a little bit and take him back. PBT's are a very active tang and that tang is going to be very aggressive toward other tank mates down the road. Research on the internet about fish you like and see if they are suitable for your tank. Go to flyingfishexpress.com and they have it setup pretty easy as a guide to what fish fits where. good job posting about it.

Monkeyfish
08/09/2006, 08:52 AM
flyingfishexpress.com is now part of liveaquaria.com.

Titan*69
08/09/2006, 11:27 AM
Better to ask about fish/tank sizes around here. Liveaquaria is not a good resource.

McCrary
08/09/2006, 09:58 PM
I do think a 60 gallon is small, but PBT's can be kept in 4' tanks. Good water quality a stress free environment and good oxygen saturation are very important.

viggen
08/09/2006, 11:02 PM
I am just amazed that the LFS suggested not only such a agressive fish but also one that is pretty difficult to keep healthy. They are definantly ich magnets & do not like stress at all!

When new fish are added he will become very agressive towards them

beautifull fish though..... I hope to add one myself someday

stykthyn
08/10/2006, 05:41 AM
I agree with viggen. those are not a beginners fish by any stretch. They are hit and miss. they either acclimate or they dont. most of the PBT's I have seen go belly up in the first 3-4 days. I would take him back ASAP and get a refund while he is still alive.