PDA

View Full Version : how much to feed a brittle star

druce
08/07/2006, 05:39 PM
just recently got a brittle star, I'd say he's oh... 7" in dia max, he's finally had some time to settle into the tank and started to "fish" - putting his arms out trying to see if he can catch some food.

I usually just give him a small dime sized chunk of krill the same time I feed my anemone (every 3 days)

is that enough or should I feed him more or more often?

lmorejon
08/07/2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Druce, I've had a brittle star for about a year now was about the size of yours when he arrived , it is now about 10 inches across. I sometimes throw is a small piece of cocktail shrimp for him and a piece for the leopard banded star, other than that no special feedings and they both look great.
Luis

druce
08/07/2006, 07:29 PM
cool, any issues with him being preditorial?

bertoni
08/07/2006, 07:31 PM
I think that's plenty of food for the animal, but it might still become predatory. What kind of star is it? Can you post a picture or a link?

druce
08/07/2006, 07:33 PM
mine's just the run of the mill brittle star...

are you asking about lmorejon's leopard star?

bertoni
08/07/2006, 08:34 PM
Nope, I was asking about yours.

druce
08/07/2006, 08:38 PM
Well I could try to get a pic tomorrow, but all you will probably see is a rock and a few arms sticking out.

here is a pic I found online:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/EchinodermPIX/Ophiuroids/Green_Brittle_Star_in_HandAQ.jpg

found from this site: wetwebmedia (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm)

bertoni
08/07/2006, 10:21 PM
If yours is a green brittle star, they seem to be the most predatory of the stars we see. I wouldn't keep one.

ReefWreak
08/07/2006, 10:32 PM
I've heard of the green brittle stars eating small fish in some aquariums, however the brownish ones and brown striped ones are supposed to be harmless detritus eaters or scavengers. I've never fed mine, and he's in a 120 with one chromis and a bunch of snails. I throw 3 mysis shrimp in there for the chromis to eat every few days, but he never does, so I do it now just to keep the nitrogen cycle going strong. Maybe he eats it, maybe the necessarius snails eat it?

druce
08/08/2006, 06:13 AM
mine's just brown... kinda remnds me of a twig the way his "spines" are different shades of brown and grey

teddybear22482
08/08/2006, 10:23 AM
I was feeding my briitle star and serpents stars shrimp, but for some reason they started rejecting it after a few weeks. I now feed Kents PhytoPlex. They LOVE it. The very minute 1 drop hits the water they come flying out of the rock. I spot feed witha turkey baster, but sometimes just pour it in. Ive also seen a big difference in the LR! I know know if it has anything to do with it, but it sure it sweet!

klhscooter
08/08/2006, 10:35 AM
Here's a pic of my green brittle star... his anme is brustus and he is a predator.... I purchased him and the Tomato Clown together about 5 months ago... everything else I have tried to put in has been killed :( ...he eats everything...flake and mysid, and newcomershttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/116058Nano_Diary_063.jpg

druce
08/08/2006, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7900577#post7900577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teddybear22482
I was feeding my briitle star and serpents stars shrimp, but for some reason they started rejecting it after a few weeks. I now feed Kents PhytoPlex. They LOVE it. The very minute 1 drop hits the water they come flying out of the rock. I spot feed witha turkey baster, but sometimes just pour it in. Ive also seen a big difference in the LR! I know know if it has anything to do with it, but it sure it sweet!

I may have to try that

one24fan
08/08/2006, 11:37 AM
I picked out a green brittle star for my husbands tank and he's a sweetie. He has never eaten any fish we have: Maroon clown, diamond gobie, mandarin gobie, 6 line, blue eyed kole tang, about 6-8 snails, and crabs. But we do also feed everyday. Frozen brine shrimp and flakes in the morning and night. And just a few flakes in the afternoon. And he eats everytime. I would like to actually get another one (a red one) would that be wise since all yours are so agressive? We seem to have gotten lucky with this one. Maybe not take the risk?

druce
08/08/2006, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7901016#post7901016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by one24fan
I picked out a green brittle star for my husbands tank and he's a sweetie. He has never eaten any fish we have: Maroon clown, diamond gobie, mandarin gobie, 6 line, blue eyed kole tang, about 6-8 snails, and crabs. But we do also feed everyday. Frozen brine shrimp and flakes in the morning and night. And just a few flakes in the afternoon. And he eats everytime. I would like to actually get another one (a red one) would that be wise since all yours are so agressive? We seem to have gotten lucky with this one. Maybe not take the risk?

feeding it all the time is probably key

I wonder if mine gets any of the pellets I feed daily to the tank

I just know that when I feed him some shrimp the same time I feed the anemone he grabs it real quick