PDA

View Full Version : New leopard wrasse mouth troubles

Jagermeister
08/07/2006, 10:08 PM
I received a potters leopard wrasse from an online vendor exactly one week ago. I did not qt him because my qt tank does not have a sand bed and these guys need a sand bed to sleep in so I immediately added him to the main tank.

The tank is 80 gallons, mixed sps, running for 3 years. Parameters are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates, all undetectable.

The problem is that the wrasses upper lip has receded to where I can clearly see his two front teeth. I wish I could get a picture but there's no way with this guy. He's still somewhat shy. It's as if he damaged it severly either during the shipment or maybe he tried to bury into some sand in my tank and hit a rock right below the surface.

He's been picking a little at the rocks and he enthusiastically eats mysis that I put in the tank.

Has anyone experienced this with a wrasse or any other fish? Does he need to be medicated? I might be able to scoop him out of the sand at night if I see where he buries and put him in a qt tank with no sand.

Or should I just wait and see how it progresses, hopefully healing on it's own now that the stress of shipment is over.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose this little guy.

Thanks.