PDA

View Full Version : sump/fuge

engine10ff
08/08/2006, 10:04 AM
I tried to use the search feature, says it's not available. I was just wondering what the difference is between a sump and fuge and what exactly each is used for. I see these larger tanks with all the plumbing underneath, looks really confusing. I am interested in building a larger tank (20 g H now) but want to get the low down on equipment needed first. Thanks for any replies.

infamous
08/08/2006, 10:23 AM
what i know of a sump is a place where water from tank is collected and filtered by a protein skimmer, whereas a refugium is within a sump where macroalgae or other orgisms live that cannot live in a main tank because it will become eaten. The macroalgae and oragisms help filter the water

druce
08/08/2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

try that - it explains the sump theory a little.

the big difference between the two is that a sump is usually another tank of water to house equipment and add volume to the system, there usually isn't any lighting (except for a light bulb to see equipment to work on it/clean it) - there isn't any sand, rock or livestock kept in the sump

a fuge is a "refuge" from the main tank. Usually it's buit within a sump (just basically a box off to one side) - it house a place with sand, rock, macro algae - this is a place for the algae to grow and not be eaten, also a place to store fish if they are being picked on, etc.. as it is part of the same system the water params are the same...

I'm not the best at describing it, but I hope it helps

in a nutshell - tank with just equipment - sump
tank with/without equipment and has sand/rocks/macro algae/livestock - fuge