PDA

View Full Version : New Fish Room

Dyceskynes
08/08/2006, 12:02 PM
I talked the wife in letting me have a fish room but I am not sure where to start. I have some experience with the nano tanks but nothing on a larger scale. The room is about 140 inches by 66 inches. I am planning an inwall setup around 120 gallons. I would like to have mangrove trees in the sump so how large would I need to go. I also want to have a decent size fuge maybe 20-30 gallons or so. I have seen a few people go with a rubbermaid stock tank for the sump and have thought about going this route but don't have too much information on it.

As far as the tank is concerned would it be work it to go with something like an aga with the overflows already installed or to do it youself. I have heard about a few people putting foam under their tanks for support but have not been able to search to find the reason for this.

I will have to run power and water to this room which I don't think would be too complex.

I would like to hear suggestions of what to do with this space or links to where I may find out more info to help with these decisions.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/63933fishroom.jpg

Thanks, Matt

bertoni
08/09/2006, 02:08 PM
The mangrove area can be as big as you want. You'll have to trim the trees to keep them inside their space. I'd probably plan on a couple of feet of vertical space. I'd go with the built-in overflows, but DIY probably is possible. The DIY forum might be useful there.

The foam is to allow the tank to settle and be very flat. The theory is that the foam conforms to level out any irregularities in the stand.

MCary
08/09/2006, 04:14 PM
The Mangrove thing turned out to be a pretty short fad. Turns out they don't consume as much as advertised and Cheato is the good stuff. If you do go with Mangroves, I would see if there's a way to program a mister above them like in the produce isle of the grocery store. Mangroves excreet salt from there leaves that nature then rinses off for them. In this case you need to be nature.

Mike

Dyceskynes
08/10/2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the tips about the Mangrove. I will have to look into the benefits of them. I was still planning on running cheato in one part of the sump. I keep going back and forth on ideas so nothing is set yet.

drauka99
08/10/2006, 01:11 PM
From what I have read the foam under the tank is to help get it as level as possible.

Good luck and post pics of the room when its done :)

Dyceskynes
08/10/2006, 01:16 PM
Is this regular pink or blue insulation foam? How much would be needed and how would you go about hiding it, just trim pieces i am guessing.

MIKEMARTIN
08/10/2006, 01:19 PM
I don't mean to highjack your post, but I am doing the same thing as you. I nevere heard of " the foam" What kind of foam??? Please let me know. Good luck on the build.!!!:rollface:

Dyceskynes
08/10/2006, 01:29 PM
High jack away. As long as its productive I don't mind. I think I am going to have to donate to RC so I can actually search for some of this stuff :)