PDA

View Full Version : success with a skimmer only sump? (aka no fuge)

nemo g
08/08/2006, 02:41 PM
as im getting ready for an upgrade, id like to keep everything simple (read clean and efficient).

although my future move is a consideration, what is my main motivation is to have a very organized under tank operation. obviously, a smaller sump would give me a lot more room under the 65g to work with.

so i can either go with a 20g (or smaller) sump that will just house the skimmer, or do a 29g sump with all the baffles, ruble, etc that are associated with it.

i would prefer the smaller sump as i cold then organize all my other gizmos and supplies in the stand as well, but wonder what benefits or negatives i will encounter.

the tank will be amied at zoas, lps, and afew hardy sps at the top. with just a few small fish and inverts (shrimp/crabs) to addd some movement and color. i will be moving soon and traveling occasionaly there after , so stability and hardiness are key.

so, how good is a fugeless sump?

Maxxumless
08/08/2006, 02:52 PM
You can still have baffles in a smaller sump to lower the chance of bubbles getting back into the tank, but in a well designed system even with no baffles bubbles can be eliminated. The key is the skimmer return and how it is designed.

Personally, on my smaller tank I only use a modified wet/dry (no media) and I don’t get bubbles. On that particular skimmer I constructed a T with one side sticking up out of the water. The T is a slightly larger pipe and this gives bubbles the chance to ‘pop’ within the T allowing air to escape upward while the water goes down back into the sump.

As for putting LR or some form of algae into the sump I believe it requires substantial amounts to become beneficial. Weekly or even bi-weekly water changes can have a much greater influence in reducing nutrients than even copious amounts of algae.

theatrus
08/08/2006, 02:53 PM
Its just fine. I run one currently. You're not getting the advantages of a fuge, so I would seriously consider adding a section. A 20gL could host a decent enough fuge section, unless you have huge equipment to fit down there.

Avast Marine
08/08/2006, 03:56 PM
Get a plant basket like they use for water plants and grow chaeto in that, bubbles will naturally be attracted to the plant and thus less in your return. Plus you get PO4 reduction, pods etc.

nemo g
08/08/2006, 04:01 PM
i already have a 20g 10g and 29g all available for a fuge. and if i had to buy another it wouldnt be an issue.

my main concern is to figure out what benefits a small fuge will actually provide. even a 9" baffled 29g will only have tops a 5g fuge, and half of that would be sand/rubble, etc.

so, other than pod production, im trying to gauge what else id be missing.