PDA

View Full Version : How to get a stright cut on 6" OD tube??

Horace
08/09/2006, 06:48 AM
Like the title says. I need some ideas on how you guys are getting a nice straight cut on large tube. I dont have a table saw, nor any other power saw that has a blade large enough to cut all the way through in one shot. How are you guys cutting this large diameter stuff???

spykes
08/09/2006, 09:40 AM
use some tape on a level surface using eye to check if it's even then use a hacksaw to score it until the grove is thick enough to be fully cut thru by one shot.

BeanAnimal
08/09/2006, 10:02 AM
No table saw at all?

Do you have a router?

DragonZim
08/09/2006, 10:31 AM
Get yourself a cheap miter box and a good hand saw.

Andrew
08/09/2006, 10:42 AM
I used a miter box saw with a fine tooth blade.

Horace
08/09/2006, 11:57 AM
No, I dont have a table saw. I do have a mitre box but its not large enough for 6" tall stuff. Yes I do have a router and a router guide, but I dont see how a router can give you a clean cut? Wouldnt I have to spin the tube and while spinning it I could get it off line. Both ends were cut with a saw of some kind and neither is a perfect edge so I cant just place the good end against something and spin the tube.

Andrew
08/09/2006, 12:28 PM
Sometimes you can take it to lowes or a hardware store and have them cut pipe and ect for a small fee. Just make sure they go slow and use the right blade.

MayoBoy
08/09/2006, 01:16 PM
Do you have a 10" miter saw or a backsaw and box? If you have a powered miter saw, then cut down as far as possible, lift up a little bit and spin the tube around to finish the cut (as the blade's running).

If you have a router but no table, screw the router base to a piece of plywood and plunge the bit up through the plywood (or drill a hole for it), add a fence, and push the tube through the bit to the fence then spin the tube around so you complete the cut.

shelburn61
08/09/2006, 01:23 PM
I wrapped a sheet of paper around the tube to get a straight edge. Then followed the line very slowly with a hand jig saw. Not perfect, but thick weldon will fill in small gaps.

Douglas LEHMAN
08/09/2006, 03:28 PM
Hello
If you ever get to Chicago, I can cut it for you.

Vincerama2
08/09/2006, 04:02 PM
I did exactly what shlelburn61 already mentioned. You can mark a perfectly even line around a tube by wrapping a piece of 8x11 (or any paper with right angles) around the tube and lining up the ends. Just tape it on, then mark the edge with a sharpie marker.

I used a hacksaw and clamped the tube in my (knockoff) workmate. (You know those little work tables that have two sides that act as a clamp?). Worked pretty good. The edges were a bit rough, but then I was using the edge inside a PVC coupler..but you can probably scrape the edge clean if you want to.

V

speartheman
08/09/2006, 05:57 PM
they do have have a wire saw at lowes

shadofax69
08/09/2006, 07:20 PM
I just put a piece of 60 grit sand paper on the garage floor and put the tube on and spin back and forth untill the end is all flush. had worked well for me on lots of equipment.

ChemE
08/09/2006, 07:37 PM
Kurt, I've been thinking about the same thing. Make a jig out of some MDF for your router. Basically set up a C-shaped channel that the tube spins in and a cap on one side. Use some feather boards to keep the tube in the channel and flush against the end cap and then spin the tube. The router should be mounted at the other end of the channel in the bottom so that it shaves the top of the tube in a perfect circle. Flip the tube over, move the end stop forward a touch and reshave the other side. This should give you two perfect (near perfect) edges. Then use shadofax69's sandpaper technique to lap the edges to perfection.

Horace
08/09/2006, 07:47 PM
Thx for the ideas guys.....

bquijalvo
08/09/2006, 09:26 PM
So... what's your source for the 6" tubing? I've only seen 4-1/2".

Thanks!

Bert