PDA

View Full Version : 53x24x24 reef circulation plan...

MNSPS
08/09/2006, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to figure out a circulation plan for this tank. I plan on having a very small turnover rate from my sump of about 500-600 gph and would like to have all the in tank circulation provided by Tunze Streams. I want the Tunze Streams to be hidden. I plan on having a partition built on the left side of the tank about 5 inches from the side in which I would mount the Tunze Streams behind. My initial plan was to use two 6000 Streams. Both of them would be blowing straight length wise across the tank from left to right. I still need to decide exactly were to drill the holes in the partition to mount the Streams. Is this going to provide enough circulation? What are your opinions in regards to this setup?

King-Kong
08/09/2006, 09:03 AM
It's going to depend on the corals you plan to keep, and also the substrate you want.

BB and SPS? aim for high turnover: 75x+.

Softies and sand; those tunzes are prolly more than enough.

MNSPS
08/09/2006, 09:54 AM
It's going to be a mixed reef. Soft corals, clams, SPS, LPS etc. tank will be bare bottom. Would I be better off using two 6100's?

MCary
08/09/2006, 10:12 AM
This is how I designed mine and the thinking behind it. It works as designed so far.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/mwcary/Picture047-2.jpg

Now I used a closed loop. But the flow design is what I'm talking about. I went with a bare bottom and used PVC rings to slightly lift the rocks above th starboard bottom. The jets on the back shoot water underneath the rocks, the jet on the right front then pushes the detritus to the left where another jet directs it up and over the overflow where it is sent to the sump and skimmer. This is on a OM so the flow is alternating like you would do with a Tunze controller. This keeps the tank very clean. I supplement the flow on top with some other stuff.

Mike

MNSPS
08/09/2006, 10:26 AM
MCary,

Nice setup!!!. I'm trying to keep mine as simple as possible. Maybe I could incorporate a TunzeWave box along with the two 6000's in the left hand side partition to help keep the detritus suspended.