PDA

View Full Version : BTA Recovering?

Ripside
08/09/2006, 02:37 PM
In another thread I talked about having 2 green BTA's which have slowly degraded over the last 2 months. They still respond to being disturbed, but keep crawling under a rock and hanging upside down in the dark.

They've both completely bleached out, and are pinkish-white. The tentacles have been completely retracted.

I've been gradually adjusting my SG up to 1.026 as suggested here, and working on improving water quality.

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate 0, pH 8.2, temp 78, Ca 480 (I stopped dosing with purple up until this drops to 450 or so).

I've tried direct feeding, but the food won't stick, and just floats away, so I started 3 days ago direct feeding them some Kent Micro-Vert, which says on the label works for anemone's (even though I realize they need solid food sometimes).

Today I noticed one of them, the smaller and healthier looking of the two, has 2 small green-tinted bubbles, sticking up a little more than the others.

Today, when one of them was closed up, as they do a few times a day, I put a few small pieces of squid within the little cup formed when they close. The one showing the improvement is still holding onto it, and hour later. I can't tell if its eating it or not.

In the photo you can see the bubble-like tentacles which have greened up a bit, on its left side, although the flash washed out the color quite a bit.

The mouths on both of them are closed up nicely.

Could this be an indication of a slight recovery?

http://usera.imagecave.com/Scott/Fish/anemone1.jpg

ANNIESREEF
08/09/2006, 03:22 PM
You may have been asked before, but what kind of lighting do you have and how long since your last bulb change?

Ripside
08/09/2006, 03:25 PM
1 260W Odyssea PC fixture (don't laugh) with 2 actinics and 2 12K's, plus the stock hood with 2x6700K 32w each. Total of just over 320W.

The Odyssea is only 2 months old, so their the original bulbs.

I asked elsewhere on the board if the Odyssea's stock lights were any good, and/or should be replaced with another brand of PC lights.

The anemone's are both less than 6" from the surface, and directly under the fixture - they're pretty well lit.

Honestly, I'm very surprised to see greenish turn return to it, even if its just 2 tentacles.

Can the symbiotic zooanxthellae (sp is way off, I'm sure) make a comeback after an anemone is bleached?