PDA

View Full Version : Will these out grow my fast?

NORTHBAY(707)
08/09/2006, 02:59 PM
I have a 125g tank that is 72" long 18" wide and 24" tall, I already have a moray eel that is 4'. I wanted to add these fish to it.

1) 1 Picasso Trigger (for sure)
2) 1 Niger trigger or maybe a 1 Titian Trigger (? don't know yet I like both of them)
3) 1 Purple Tang (ABOUT 8-10")
4) 1 Cowfish (for sure) (NOT SURE ON SIZE)
5) 1 Frogfish;type Antennarius Sp (for sure) (I KNOW THE SIZE THESE GUYS CAN GET 12-14")

The eel has a cave that's at the far end of the tank I'm gonna try to hand feed him all the time W/ grabbers, and keep him full plus anything I feed him/her that is alive I'll knock out first! So hopefully it tames him/her from going after the live fish in My tank. A couple of people told that this will stop him from going after live fish in My tank.Does this work with eels to tame them? And should I add everything at once?

I was hoping to keep them in this tank for about 1-1 1/2 years,but will be upgrading My tank size after that to more then likely a 300g tank or bigger size depends on the fish that I have and how big they are at that time maybe a 400g tank.

The tank has over a 100 pounds of rock in it and a lot of hiding places in it. 75 pounds of this rock is live rock and 35-40 of it is dead/cured rock. Plus I'm going to be adding more rock to the tank more then likely once this bloom I have going stops.(CYCLING TANK RIGHT NOW) So I can see the postion of the rock formations.

Any suggestions or advice will be taken greatly By Me. Thanks for your time.

:smokin: later.

onereefnotenuf
08/09/2006, 03:04 PM
i will only address the one fish that i am familiar with. the titan. it is a very aggressive fish that grows huge. i don't know max size but it is over 2 feet for sure. a 125 is not close to being large enough long term.

in general any fish shouldn't be bigger than the depth(18") of the tank and really 2/3s of it (12") is a better guideline. that doesn't take into consideration fast moving heavy duty swimmers(tangs) which need even more room.
a couple of the fish you are talking about shouldn't be in anything less than a 180 and the titan in something even bigger imo.

frogguy1
08/09/2006, 03:06 PM
The Titan Trigger would be the fasted grower. I would defintately count him out. But the others would be good for life. And obviously you already know that the eel will need a larger home. There are frogfish/anglers that only get around 6-8". Id stick with them.

FMarini
08/09/2006, 08:14 PM
you mean a green moray eel thats 4 Ft long? if so- i wouldn't expect any of these fish to last 6 months. Regardless of how much food you feed it, the weekend your away and don't feed him- zap minus 1 fish
Second frogfish are pretty much species tank only predators, they will swallow many fish double their size, and worse feed slowly and will not compete successfully in a tank fulll of fast swimmer. Skip them in this tank
Third that titan trigger will wipe everyone out...sure the first 6 months will be cool and everyone gets along...Then you wake up one morning and see a dozen partial fish and a titan trigger smiling back, unfortunately the titan will be no match for a green moray- fish gota sleep-eels don't

DragonMorayEels
08/09/2006, 08:26 PM
Hi "C", the link you provided in your PM not work and the names Mexican moray eel and golden head has nothing to do with the other and if you can provide some picture that this eel looks like for their be far too many eels to even speak of.

As for lfs, many are always attaching any name with the eel they get according to the eels coloration and so on for a yellowhead moray don't grow to 4'. However the spotted moray does grow to 4'.

I do however figure that you could even have the Speckled moray other then the spotted moray and that the Speckled moray will grow larger yet if this is the eel you have and I'm sorry, a 125 gal tank in having any number of fish with even as large an eel as 4' is playing with fire somewhat for both eels mentioned here prey on fish.

With such an aggressive tank, I would leave out the cowfish, no matter what its size be.

So your link you provided in your PM, it not work, try placing it here please.

So if this is the spotted you have, you can find a picture yourself, just type into search the name "Gymnothorax dovii" and also besides the spotted moray, another comes to mind, look up what picture you get for the "Gymnothorax johnsoni" and this is the eel you are thought to have, look up the name "Gymnothorax moringa"

So please just type those names one at a time into search and see what pictures you get for as I said, the link that you provided, not open.

I'm gonna try to hand feed him
I wouldn't` hand feed this eel if I were you, it can cause you some serious injury for you are best too use a feeding stick of some type. Also be careful on how you place your L/R, you not want to cause dead zones (low to no water currents) and not too just pile them so tightly together.

Does this work with eels to tame them?
Now that is a good question, how can I put this to you? Like I one eel now for more then 13 years, and I would never place my fingers in her den :) No, all you can attempt to stop with often feeding is that your eel "MIGHT NOT" take a prey.

So before counting on what you will be mixing in with this eel. You need to know what eel species it is for I hope its not the eel that will grow about 7'

I would as well leave out the frogfish ;) So already this eel is at 4', you cannot add much to this tank and a matter a fact, I wouldn't add anything else. So first lets discover which eel it is that you have there.
Buddy ><{{{{">

McCrary
08/09/2006, 10:02 PM
Where are you going to get that 8-10" Purple Tang?

NORTHBAY(707)
08/10/2006, 06:56 AM
"Dragon" thanks for the info I've been tring to get A good picture of My eel,but it's hard in the tank with My camrea on my phone,always forget to bring the DIGITAL with Me to the LFS.I wasn't going to feed the eel with My hands,but with grabbers/feeding sticks.

I got that the Titian triger was out with post before.

8-10" purple tang was the size they get from what I've read on the WEB, RC, & other forums. Not the size the tang I was getting, but big they get.

Hopefully I'll get a good picture of the eel so I can post it.Camrea is in the BREIFCASE!

Thanks agian for the info on the fish and the eel.

Lets see if these works here.Look at the picture that has a cleaner wrasse on the eels head. 3rd row down fourth picture over click on it to get the picture bigger.

This eel same the same markings/spot and color of spots as My eel olny thing different is the head and mouth.Head is more pointy and narrow same with the mouth. Also has a ribbon type fin the whole way down the top of it's body.

www.letsdiveguam.com/Lets_Dive_Guam_ENG_Fish_Photos.html

T-T-Trigger
08/10/2006, 09:13 AM
sounds like you have a gymnothorax species - and a large one at that. very aggressive fish eaters in general, small fish may be out out of the question.

i'll take a shot in the dark and say g. undulatus as a guess:
http://www.underwater.pl/galeria/Moray&ell/Gymnothorax%20undulatus/Gymnothorax%20undulatus%201.jpg

close??

DragonMorayEels
08/10/2006, 12:55 PM
Gymnothorax undulatus, in which case can grow to 7' and would need even a larger tank then the 200, and yes, I know that the eel could fit in a 180 or 200, but you need to think about the type of eel this is.

You can do whatever you want here, the choice wrong or correct is yours to make, for as well, the last time I known anyone to have this type of eel was when I owned one for about 7 years and it becomes more aggressive in age/growth and in no way will you ever manage the idea of those fish with this type of moray.

Of course the triggers could be of little problem for this eel and only then again as one mentioned here that fish is already some 10" and then again this size for a tang is no problem at all to be taken as its prey and the triggers will in size have some advantages in making their escape from the eel jaws.

That eel I would never feed by hand :) Eels not know where the fish ends and your hand begins :) and also you will be needing a far larger tank in order to have any fish too large for this eel and we are talking 1000+

This eel will have no trouble if not now in taken a prey 8-10" and will as well take the frogfish for your eel if is 4' at this time is still as yet to grow much more, just another 36"

close?? Yes TT, that has to be the eel he is talking about, for I knew from the size he said that it wasn't the yellowhead. I must go, I the kids all day for the morning sitter called sick and the kids daddy is sick, which leaves me to care for these little monsters :D

Buddy ><{{{{">

NORTHBAY(707)
08/10/2006, 02:13 PM
T-T Trigger, That is excatly what the EEL looks like that i have the LFS.
So I'm looking at it gettng up to 7' and gets more and more aggressive with age and growth?Thanks for the picture I've been on the net looking for almost 2 weeks try'n to find a picture or the ture name of this Eel.Very greatful to you and "DRAGON" for the help with this.

Well the guy at LFS told Me," If you want something nasty I have nasty for you here in a 4' Moray Eel and can eat pretty much anything that fit's in it's mouth from fish too mice and yes maybe a little chicken!":D

What if I get a snowflake eel that is about 12" about 1.5" around can I put other fish in with it or same thing? It maybe a little smaller,but not any bigger then that.

Do frogfish have to be keep by themselfs?

Thanks agian for all your time!

:smokin:later.

T-T-Trigger
08/10/2006, 05:19 PM
if you want a cool midsize eel, something like a goldentail moray (Gymnothorax miliaris) would be awesome - or a whitemouth (gymnothorax meleagris) for a bit bigger and a bit more aggressive eel - but still be manageable.

I think I understand the kinds of fishes you like, and while a snowflake is a great eel - it's just too dang common for guys like you and me :D

btw, which LFS has this 4' monstrosity?

NORTHBAY(707)
08/10/2006, 05:51 PM
NORTHBAY AQUATICS in COTATI,CAl.

Has My MONSTER, I bought him before I even had a tank. You got it right the nastier the better for this guy here. I was going to get some piranha(fire bellies), but they ain't they great in a tank.Plus saltwater fish are a lot better in color IMO. I have some good pictures know of the eel,but forgot the cord so I can't download them to My computer at the office.I'll post them when I get home.

leaving for home as I sign out........................

NORTHBAY(707)
08/10/2006, 09:15 PM
Theres 3 different picture of the eel in My gallery now. There are a little blury,but not that bad. Check them out see if it's a Gymnotharax Undulatus. I'll get better pictures of over the weekend now that I know
how to upload and resize them.

DragonMorayEels
08/10/2006, 09:47 PM
It is the eel in which you have for as well many of this species of moray not always have the same coloration for one will have less green on the head and as is, they when very young mostly have lots of green algae color on their heads and many loose all the green once they reach near their adult size. So further pictures will not be necessary but if it pleases you, you can go right a head and knock yourself out :D

Buddy ><{{{{">

NORTHBAY(707)
08/14/2006, 08:02 AM
T-T ,I'm actuly going to keep the Eel and have plans for another tank to get some other fish I wanted to get.

Tanks for the info. on there other eels and where I could get that one you recommended.

pisces77
08/14/2006, 09:03 AM
frogfish with either a cowfish or a trigger is a bad combo. the two later fish will nip at the frog, or the frog will swallow them whole.

DragonMorayEels
08/14/2006, 09:22 AM
My tank size after that to more then likely a 300g tank or bigger size depends on the fish that I have and how big they are at that time maybe a 400g tank.

That is one thing you said at the start of your post, and with the species your now they can for a time period seem to grow fast and yet will take a number of years in completing their normal growth.

As you mentioned, of a 400 gal tank, if you wish to house a second eel as equal or near the same size, you will for the long term of this be needing as large a tank as a 400 and larger yet if your in plan to house any large fish, too large too become an easy prey.

You do have a number of other eel choices, but here is the trick to what your doing now. If you already have the eel you mentioned now in a 125, you can in no way right now even think about having a second eel for as so, if the eel not already settled in, it will not accept in so close quarters another eel and the only way you can do this now is by having the larger tank setup right now.

Don't wait too long for your eel will grow and then when the other tank is ready, you need to get the other eel larger then 4' and even maybe by the time this larger tank is setup you will have to get the eel larger then 5'

You not want so young and small an eel added to the tank with any larger moray species, specially one that feeds on fish.
So the new tank would have too be well setup in advance and only after you get your second eel of choice would you then add both into the new tank on the same day.

Your the Gymnothorax undulatus at this time and I can think of about nine choices for you at this time and those be as follows:

Gymnothorax mordax
Muraena robusta
Gymnothorax pictus
Muraena helena
Gymnothorax isingteena
Gymnothorax nudivomer (Mucus is toxic)
Enchelycore ramosa
Gymnothorax dovii

I do suggest if you go with a 400 that it only be the two moray eels.

Buddy ><{{{{">

NORTHBAY(707)
08/14/2006, 10:29 PM
My bad it was really early and I had not had any sleep yet with My other post.

I'm not getting another Eel!.T-T Trigger recommended another Eel for Me and recommended me to pass on the Moray That I already got,and get a Tusselatta(I think that's the spelling) Eel instead that was a Mid size eel, and would be EZ'er to manage,then a eel that can get upto 7 feet long. I asked him about a Snow flake eel being able to live with the other fish That I wanted.

He didn't think the Snow Flake would have temperament that I would like out of a fish/eel.He got what types of fish I like! I like watching them hunt and stalk there Prey/Food.

I know now the frogfish,Trigger's and cowfish wouldn't be a good combo due to if the cowfish releases it's toxic slime it could kill everything in the tank and it self. Or the frogfish would just gulp the cowfish up and that would be them end of maybe both of them.?Or the trigger's streeing it out.

thanks for the info though and the advice so I don't waste money, time or the emotions of try'n it. That's why I asked first before I just went out I bought the fish.

"Dragon" If I put a "PVC" tube in the tank for the Eel how should I put it in? Should I put it in at a angle and cover it with rock, lay it on the sand bed and cover in rock, have it floating in one place? Will the eel just go and find it or will it have to be coax in it? Also how due you tell what sex the Eel is?

I made a cave I thought it would like due to the way it is always curled up in the corner of the tank at the LFS.

Thanks for all the info.

:smokin:Later.
Pisces
Nice" APBT" I have one that is almost the same exatact colorings and same size. If that whats it is looks like it to me.