PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Fish?

Twisted
08/09/2006, 06:38 PM
Anyone ever bought one of these? Do they really light up, or do their cheeks kinds have a faint glow when they open their pouches?
Was thinking of buying one, so kinda curious. If you have had one how is it personality wise?

FMarini
08/09/2006, 08:17 PM
these are shy reclusive fish and come from dark deep water. They live in schools and I've only seen them in public aquariums.
That little pouch under its eye glows pretty good, but it looks like a small bean of luminescence
Not sure how they'll do in a regular fish tank, I guess probably okay if you can get them to eat and have a hiding cave

ClamIAm
08/09/2006, 10:24 PM
My thoughts have always been they would be cool if you had a school of them in a large dimly lit tank, perhaps with sponges/gorgonians/other deepwater inverts. Keeping them in an average reef tank doesn't seem logical based on their natural habitat.

stykthyn
08/09/2006, 10:42 PM
I wouldnt put one in a reef. maybe in a dimly lit pred tank.

McCrary
08/09/2006, 11:15 PM
Man I want one of those, lol.

fishsoldseprtly
08/10/2006, 10:56 AM
I have had these in the past as well as others I know that keep reef tanks, unfortunately they are not hardy fish at all and they dont adapt to home aquaria all that well. I would definitely do your research on the fish before purchasing. That was our mistake in the past was not doing research on the fsh until I had purchased them.

Twisted
08/10/2006, 11:11 AM
That's weird I have looked into them a little, and they said they are an easy to care for fish. Maybe they have managed to bring them into the tank raised catagory in the last couple years?
I don't know, but hard to gamble with $60 to $90 dollar fish....

fishsoldseprtly
08/10/2006, 11:13 AM
they are such a deep water fish.. from the experience I had and others, they just would not accept food in captivity and they finally starved to death. with all the lights in a reef tank, you would need plenty of caves and dark caves for them.

Ironsheikh
08/10/2006, 11:35 AM
its just not meant for the home - watch it on the discovery channel

fishsoldseprtly
08/10/2006, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7914075#post7914075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ironsheikh
its just not meant for the home - watch it on the discovery channel

thats what I learned after the fact