PDA

View Full Version : clean glass?

druce
08/09/2006, 08:07 PM
alright... everytime I look at tank pics the glass is crystal clear, what gives

mine never looks that clear.

I usually have to scrape it once a week to get the algae off it, what's the secret?

Also, whats a good cleaning solution for the tank exterior - I've been using just a dry towel and buffing it for now - but it leaves a salt haze on it.

adnup
08/09/2006, 08:15 PM
I clean my glass atleast once everyother day. I think glass cleaner w/out ammonia

splateee
08/09/2006, 08:15 PM
I just use an algae magnet and wipe the glass every couple of days real quick before the build up gets harder to clean. And for cleaning i use warm water on a towl and then wipe dry. Sometime i will use windex sprayed on a cloth and clean the glass that way if it is real dirty.

druce
08/09/2006, 08:16 PM
alright, thanks ...

mg426
08/09/2006, 09:06 PM
I agree wiping it often is a good idea(magnet float) If you let the coralines get a toe hold you will be scraping with some device or razor blade.

druce
08/09/2006, 09:09 PM
yea, I've been using the Kent glass scraper with the metal blade weekly to get the glass clean.

Just tested my water and noticed my Phosphate was around 0.03-0.10ppm (hard to distinguish the shades of blue) and that my Nitrates were 5ppm - Just got some new macro today, I hope that the trates drop... maybe that will help with my "green glass"

Infern0
08/09/2006, 09:14 PM
Follow advice given...what's the point in having a tank if you can't observe it in it's prestine condition?

Every now and then I'll let mine go a little longer than normal without cleaning it (inside or out) and then when I clean it, it's like a whole nother world...incredible. Keeping it clean will keep a higher interest bestilled in your habits.

druce
08/09/2006, 09:16 PM
lol, I've been tinkering in my tank every night for hours lately - it's finally rebounding after my move

I do agree, it's nice when the glass is clean, it totally looks different

erc111
08/09/2006, 09:26 PM
To clean the outside of the glass, ( works on acrylic too) wipe it down with a wet paper towel to remove any stains or salt and then use wadded up newspaper to dry up the moisture and clean the glass. The first wad will dry the glass and then use another to polish.

It works great, but it is a little work.

I learned this 30 years ago when cleaning new construction houses .

Do not use windex or other spray cleaners.