PDA

View Full Version : New Nano-build

MDP
08/10/2006, 12:07 AM
OK I have been toying with this idea for a while now and having taken inspiration from other's tanks on this forum have decided to take the plunge.

For various reasons, I have downsized my 24"cube with all the bits one could imagine to a 22 gallon (US) tank measuring 24"x12"x18" tall. Part of this has been partitioned off with black acrylic as my wife does not like all the clutter that went with my bigger tank. The partioned area covers 4" and is home to two Seio 820s (only the outlets are visible. Once the sand is in I'll probably have to dial the flow back) and a Tunze nanoskimmer. There will also be space for carbon and I will be using Rowaphos on the tank from the outset. Filtration will be traditional Berlin style using cured (cooked) live rock. There will be a 2" aragonite and live sand bed (although not sure how effective this will be so it might just be for aesthetic purposes).

The viewing area will therefore be 20"x12"x18" tall.

The occupants for this tank will be a pair of common clowns and an anemone (a small healthy H.Crispa that I own), plus a selection of the Zoos and Discosoma that I am aquaculturing at the moment. There will be a chiller running on this tank and lighting will be by a single 250w Phoneix 14K bulb run on a PFO ballast. I'm looking at ways to rig up my existing moonlight, but not sure how to on the Mini HQI pendant and don't want to interfere with the clean lines of the tank.

I'll try to post some pics (I have finished building the tank, but cannot set it up for a month due to redecoration work in my house). I'm posting details here now to check on any reccommendations for equipment/stocking.

BTW should just say that I have a lot of experience with marine fish and especially anemones so realise that the anemone will eventually outgrow the tank. At that time it can go into one of the 4 foot troughs in my greenhouse that I use for aquaculturing.

Any input welcome at this stage.

Matt

MDP
08/10/2006, 12:26 AM
Should also have included that top-off will be via a Tunze system linked to a calcium dispenser containing RowaKalk to keep the ph high. This will be on a timer so it only comes on after lights off to help keep the ph stable at night. Monitoring will be via Pinpoint ph, orp and wireless thermometer.

Matt

MDP
08/10/2006, 05:17 AM
I will be using a Coralife 9W UV in-line on the return from the cooler.

Don't think there's much else I can add apart from a few pics so will have a go in a minute.

Matt

MDP
08/10/2006, 05:58 AM
Well, managed to get 1 pic in my gallery of the tank. It is not very good, but you should be able to see the holes for the Seios pumps, the overflow grill is in the middle and this is where the skimmer will sit.

There is now a pieve of black acrylic over the front of the sectioned off part.

Matt

MDP
08/10/2006, 06:24 AM
Well, managed to get 1 pic in my RC gallery of the tank (click on the link above). It is not very good, but you should be able to see the holes for the Seios pumps, the overflow grill is in the middle and this is where the skimmer will sit.

There is now a pieve of black acrylic over the front of the sectioned off part.

Matt

MDP
08/12/2006, 11:57 PM
76 views and no comments?

Does that mean I've got it all sorted out correctly?

Matt

george1098
08/13/2006, 07:42 PM
well I guess i'm the first to make a comment!
Sounds like a great set up. all the gear you've listed so far I should think will suffice for a healthy set up. Would you run carbon? I think carbon is really important on smaller systems. Can't wait to see some pics, try photobucket.com

MDP
08/13/2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the reply George.

Yes I think I'll probably be running carbon on this tank from day one. I've had issues in using it in the past where the change in clarity in water has adversely affected the corals. Similar in many respects to my Rowaphos experiences/

I'll therefore be running both from day one so nothing gets a shock. I also run carbon and Rowa on my culturing vats.

The only test of will I can see with this tanks is to not add any further fish. It will be a somewhat sedate affair with only two clowns, but that is the look I'm aiming for.

Matt

george1098
08/14/2006, 08:32 AM
Sounds good matt. the only other thing I could think of, was will you be running you TLF phosban reactor on this tank? the phosban is rated for 150g, so you probably don't have to fill it up all the way. what I do is run seachem phosphate absorber and carbon in the same reactor and put a little filter sponge in between the two media. this kills two birds with one stone.. just a though

CamBarr
08/14/2006, 02:04 PM
where did you get your tank

noschmo
08/15/2006, 07:07 PM
Man, this is one exciting thread, Keep up the good work, Matt Domo arigato. :)

MDP
08/15/2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Cambarr.

The tank was bought locally. It is a pretty standard size. The only difference is that it has black silicone which I thought complemented the black stand and black PFO mini HQI fixture.

Thanks Noschmo, not very exciting now, but once it is up and running (The workmen vacate my house mid Sept so can't ill up until then) there should be a lot more pics. It's always exciting to set up a new tank. I'll happily admit to being a bit of a techno addict when it comes to my reeftanks.

Anyone have opinions on how the following would work?

There will be RIO 1700 in the sectioned off part which is going to feed my chiller. I propose having the coralife UV in line on the return, would I also be able to use my phosban reactor (with, as George suggests, both Rowaphos and Rowacarbon at the same time) in line after the UV? Just to add that I know RIOs get a bad press, but I've been using them for years and never had a prob with burnout/locking up, but I do give them regular soakings in vinegar so perhaps that helps.

Following some info from another thread, I'm going to bite the bullet and run my SEIOs on a wave maker for a while to see how it goes.

Matt

The Escaped Ape
08/21/2006, 07:17 AM
:cool:

Looking good Matt. Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to see it wet.

It looks like my plans for a nano will have to wait. Paying for a wedding and two house moves in 6 months has hit the cash flow somewhat. Maybe next year...

MDP
08/21/2006, 09:23 AM
Haha.

Welcome back.

Thanks Tom. Once that Asbestos is out of the basement and roof then I'll be off. It's that well planned that it should look good.

Still toying with anemone species. Very Genki H. Crispa which is feeding well and looking good, or one of my Rose Bubble clones from outside. I have a real weakness as far as they are concerned as you'll recall, my other half thinks they are too much when they are hosting Ocellaris.

What news on STM, been for a recce recently?

Have just put a bid in for another slot in country today, so could be back in the Uk for a year then off to Osaka. We'll see.

Hope you and the good lady are well.

Matt

The Escaped Ape
08/21/2006, 02:53 PM
Very well thanks. :D

Will reply in more detail on non-fishy matters by mail, so as not to derail your thread.