PDA

View Full Version : Cobwebs in new zoanthid colony

jeffbrig
08/09/2006, 11:09 PM
I bought a colony from the LFS on Saturday and they're in my coral QT (standard procedure). They seem perfectly healthy. Tonight I happened to check the QT after lights out with a flashlight. I noticed a white stringy cobweb-like material around the zoanthids. It's completely hidden when the polyps are open during the day, but visible when they're closed. (sorry, no pics yet)

I'm somewhat new to zoanthids (<1 year), and I've never had any issues with any that I've kept (knock on wood). Is this something to worry about? If so, any treatment recommendations? I didn't do any dips on the way in, btw...

estrange
08/09/2006, 11:24 PM
I don't think any good can come from those things. I've had them too and removed it. They grow quite fast.

mbunaman
08/10/2006, 07:10 AM
It sounds like fungus. Check for dying sponges. A good remedy for fungus on zoos is 50/50 mixture of straight RO water and hydrogen peroxide. This helps kill the fungus and any unwanted hitchhiker predators. Give them some flow and your ok. This is what I do when I buy wild colonies. But a pic would be better to determine if its fungus.

jeffbrig
08/10/2006, 02:06 PM
I'll try to post up a pic soon. I took some last night, but my home PC is running a 50+ hour test on an old hard drive (Spin Rite). No photoshop = no photo sharing.

BTW, it's not the blue zoas, mbunaman.... :D

mbunaman
08/10/2006, 03:26 PM
Thats a relief those are awesome. :D

jeffbrig
08/14/2006, 08:28 AM
Pic (as promised)
http://home.comcast.net/~jbrigman/pics/zoas_cobweb.jpg

I blew most of the cobwebs out with a turkey baster after this pic was taken.

deep6er
08/14/2006, 09:09 AM
WOW I have never seen such a thing. I dont know what that is but i would dip them