PDA

View Full Version : Tonga Kaelini vs Lalo LR

Kyse
08/10/2006, 06:36 AM
Tonga Kaelini (http://www.reefermadness.us/Tonga_Kaelini.htm) OR Lalo Live Rock (https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=876)

Which would you pick and why?

I have a 125 (72 x 18 x 22) and im looking to start off with about 90 pounds, which will be a FOWLR. But if i ever decide to do reef would one be better then the other?

I know TBS is one of the best if not the best but looking for other options.

MJAnderson
08/10/2006, 08:00 AM
TBS rock isn't really the best. It has a ton of diversity on it and is as close to turnkey as you can get but they are also famous for tons of bad hitchhikers and the rock tends to be a dense.

As for these, the Kaelini tends to be a little larger. I'm guessing you will go with more rock later since 90 in a 125 isn't that much so I'd go Kaelini since it will end up as your base for future additions. Will be easier to add smaller rocks on top of larger.

Kiel'thalin
08/10/2006, 08:18 AM
Same as above, I would use that as a base and use a lighter rock as you begin to stack. I use a combination of Regular Fiji and Fiji Totoka. The totoka is very light for its size, I got a 5 gallon bucket of it and it didn't go over 20 lbs. Good luck.

flameangel88
08/10/2006, 08:45 AM
I can't comment on the Lalo LR because I don't have any but can comment on the Kaelini.

Kaelini LRs are pretty dense and 2 large pieces of 15lbs each kinda filled up my 75g. Before putting in the 40lbs of Kaelini I'd 50lbs of Marshall Island LRs in and the shapes are very nice. When it first came in it was fully cured and they were very bland looking and now after 2 months the coralline are really coming out on all the rocks after all the initial calcium crest came off the rocks. But the calcium level last tested were at around 480-500 which I'll let it drop off to around 450.

If I were to do it all over again I will get Marshall Island and then go to lfs and find some nice Polyp and coral rocks to put on top and front.

Kyse
08/10/2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks!

Kiel'thalin: how do you like the Totoka? do you have any pics of it?

Flameangel88: Marshall's does look sweet also :)