PDA

View Full Version : Livestock list for 180. Please comment

ReefJerk
08/10/2006, 09:59 AM
Here is a list of fish I am considering for stocking a 180. Please post comments. Thanks.

Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Copperband Butterfly
Sixline Wrasse
2 False Percs
Coral Beauty
5 Lori's Anthias or 5 Flasher Wrasse
3 Pearly Jawfish
Achilles Tang

The first 7 fish are what I have in my 90 now. I am leaning toward not getting another tang, but the Achilles would be the one that I want if I get another. Also, I have no experience with flasher wrasses or any anthias, so anyone with any advice, please chime in. Thanks.

Cliff

COreefer
08/10/2006, 10:39 AM
a school of flashers or anthias would be cool. I'm not familiar with Lori's anthias, but the Lyretails are awesome...from what I have read about them it's reccomended to keep group of 8 for a supermale to develop.

I think your list is pretty good...lot of activity. Try to add the jawfish first though, and let let them get established for a few days/weeks before adding everything else.

ReefJerk
08/10/2006, 10:46 AM
The Lori's is also known as the Tiger Anthias. I wanted to get the smallest species that I could find that aren't deep-water type. Right now, I am looking at the Lyretails and Threadfins as well. So far, the lyretails are the biggest species that I've considered, but they seem to be more readily available than the tigers, so I'll see. I am trying to find a male Tiger to introduce with/after the females, but again, noone that I've checked with can give me any availability for the species, let alone a male.

racer69
08/10/2006, 11:10 AM
I keep lyretail's in my 180, and they are great. Only the male gets bigger, and that is only about 3". The females stay relatively small. You will probably want to wait a while on the achilles tang. They are a very hard fish to keep and really need an established tank. I have a powder blue tang that was in captivity for 2 years and they are not as hard to keep as achilles.

Flasher wrasses, and fairy wrasses are a great choice like Eric said. I also have them in my tank, but you need to sex them properly or there will be some fighting with the males that will result in jumping and possible carpet surfing.

racer69
08/10/2006, 11:11 AM
Just read the post again, and you may have some big problems with a six line wrasse, and fairy or flasher wrasses.

ReefJerk
08/10/2006, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7913918#post7913918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by racer69
...I keep lyretail's in my 180, and they are great. Only the male gets bigger, and that is only about 3"....

That is great news to hear. That was my biggest concern that they would each get to 4-5 inches. At 3 inches, that would be like keeping chromis.

ReefJerk
08/10/2006, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7913927#post7913927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by racer69
Just read the post again, and you may have some big problems with a six line wrasse, and fairy or flasher wrasses.

Hey Eric (COReefer), did you ever have problems with a Sixline and Flashers? I know you've kept a lot of wrasses in the past. What would be your take on who would do the bullying here? Would the flashers jump the sixline or is the sixline bad enough to wreak havoc on 5 other wrasses? thanks for the info.

rekn
08/10/2006, 11:57 AM
the sixline, imo, would be ok if you add him last.
once theyre established its tough to put anything else in the tank.

ReefJerk
08/10/2006, 12:17 PM
I could give the flashers a week or so to settle before putting the sixline in. That wouldn't be a problem. I just wouldn't want them all to gang up on him in the end.

COreefer
08/10/2006, 02:49 PM
I agree with Ryan (rekn) the sixline and flashers would be fine together provided you add the flashers first. As far as the anthias though, they may pester flasher wrasses. I had a carpenters flasher that I constantly had to fish out of the overflow b/c of an anthias.

racer69
08/10/2006, 03:23 PM
My filamented flasher wrasse does great with my lyretails. The anthias are my most docile fishes and don't bother anything.

ReefJerk
08/11/2006, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7915281#post7915281 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by COreefer
...As far as the anthias though, they may pester flasher wrasses. I had a carpenters flasher that I constantly had to fish out of the overflow b/c of an anthias...

I'll doublecheck the temperament of the Tiger and Threadfin Anthias to ensure I don't run into this issue.

rekn
08/11/2006, 04:52 PM
ime the filamented are the more stand-offish type flasher. as long as they arent with more aggressive fish then they dont usually get picked on.

i just had an angel and nothing messed with it even though the sixlien has been in there for 8 months-there isnt many that mess with angels, same with filamented.

racer69
08/11/2006, 11:03 PM
My filamented is getting tormented by my ruby head fairy wrasse. But only till tomorrow. Chris has a nice home for the fairy, and now maybe "flash" can come out and swim like he used to.lol