PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with this dead end?

Mr31415
08/10/2006, 10:17 AM
I posted about the sweeper tentacles here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=901245

It seems as if it was not an obvious question - maybe someone here can help me? Are those really sweeper tentacles? How far distance should I keep between it and other corals?

Travis L. Stevens
08/10/2006, 11:55 AM
I don't believe that Zoanthidae can produce sweeper tentacles. I believe you might be experiencing some form of internal organ expulsion. Similar to what Corallimorphians do.

wds21921
08/12/2006, 10:07 PM
That is weird. It looks like a tentacle from a galaxia but at the same time also similar to a spaghetti worm? If it were a galaxia I'd think the zoa would be dead or dying quickly.
I've never seen a spaghetti worm live in symbiosus inside of a zoa but maybe it's possible?
Beats me.

miwoodar
09/07/2006, 04:10 PM
Have you significantly changed anything in your tank (lighting?)? Maybe it is zooxanthellae being expelled but I've never witnessed it with a zoanthid and it's usually brown mucas when it does happen. Anyone?

Mr31415
09/08/2006, 02:05 AM
Nope is does that every couple of days.

Travis L. Stevens
09/08/2006, 07:15 AM
Did you ever get an answer from Borneman? (I think that's where you posted your question)

Cosmo^Kramer
09/08/2006, 09:58 AM
Mr31415 a bit off topic.You are an outstanding photographer.I love your web site.Zoo lake is my favorite.Would it be ok if I used it as a background for my PC?

Mr31415
09/09/2006, 03:12 PM
Travis - I did get a semi answer from Ron, but not a good one from Eric. Eric thinks the filamets do not originate from the center of the zoanthid polyp - even though the last picture clearly shows that it does originate from the center and because of that, I am not totally convinced there is another organism living inside of it.

Seems like a mystery. And ps - the Zoanthid still regularly exhibit those tentacles.

Cosmo^Kramer - thanks for the compliment. You are welcome to use the photo for your PC's backgroundn, but the one on the web is a bit small. PM me if you want a larger one.

J. Montgomery
09/26/2006, 03:24 PM
I saw the same thing on one of my orange Zoanthids the other day. My zoas came with the live rock (which I've only had for a little over two weeks - the previous owner had it for >5yr) . . . I don't know anything about it, but I have seen it in person.