PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to my xenia?

600k4
08/10/2006, 11:54 AM
I dont know what is happening to my xenia. It is now deteriorating and I dont know if I should just leave it or frag it at the point where the small piece connects to the larger piece? I would place the small piece on the right in my fuge but have read that you should never frag a coral that is already stressed. Any suggestions on what to do or what is happening? One LFS said that a slug is eating it at the base. I found 2 slugs and removed them a couple of weeks ago. Another LFS said the yellow tang is eating it.... Please help...
this is a pic from today...
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/119928115_1557.JPG

this was taken on 7/16/06...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/119928xenia_small.JPG

WaterKeeper
08/10/2006, 12:40 PM
It is hard to tell from your pics. There are a couple of worm predators of Xenia. Certain flatworms will attack it. Flatworm Exit is a good control for those. The Nudibrach, Phyllodesmium , also attacks Xenia. I'm not sure it the Exit will help here. The good point here is that Nudies are not a prolific as true flatworms and can be controlled by just removing them.

It is not the Tangs however, they seldom eat corals. Sometimes they appear to be doing that but they are really eating algae near the corals.

druce
08/10/2006, 12:40 PM
xenia is good at indicating tank parameters, I know you said your livestock was eating it, but I'd do a round of tests just to be sure.

If you have a refuge with adequate lighting you might want to move it and see if it rebounds.

Do the polyps look eaten off or are they clumped in a "fist"?

600k4
08/10/2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replys... sorry for the bad pics is is the best i could get..

the ends started losing fingers at first, then they were gone completely. now they are starting to grwo back but stay balled up like a fist. I am starting to see worm like critters in the tank. They are flat and similar to a centipede with all the legs they appear to have, I tried to take a picture of the but my camera isn't good enough...

600k4
08/10/2006, 12:52 PM
params as of 2 days ago... Alkalinity is high, could this be it?

Alk- 7meq/L
Calc- 420ppm
pH- 8.1
trates- zero
trites- zero
ammo- zero

I dont test for anything else. Anything else I should test for?
p.s. I dose with B-ionic...

600k4
08/10/2006, 01:06 PM
well i tested a couple of params just now.
Alk- 6meq/L
pH- 8.2
cals- 410ppm

I have a fuge w/ adequate ligting but how can I remove the xenia from the large rock that it's on?

drauka99
08/10/2006, 01:08 PM
the worms I think you are seeing are brissle worms. Atleast thats the most prolific worm I can think of that that sounds like. Everyones tanks have them. Mine balled up for a few days a while back and after getting worried myself I did an emergency 20% water change and the next day they were back happy and growing. I however thing I had had an amonia spike so since your test read zero that might not help you.

If the Xenia is balled up it ain't happy about something and the sooner you figure it out the better.

Wish i could be of more help.

druce
08/10/2006, 01:11 PM
i'd leave the xenia on the rock it's on if you are going to move it - no need to stress it more.

WaterKeeper
That sounds like bristle worms. They are generally OK in the tank and usually beneficial. Flatworms and nudibranch do not have "legs" but are flattened. The nudies can have out-croppings as does this P. brareium
http://www.seaslugforum.net/images/046552.jpg

A typical flatworm looks more like this
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/Miscellaneous/Flatworm/Dugesia_thm.jpg

GoblinFish
My xenia looked like that when i once added Rid Ich in the water without knowing that it was not reef safe :) 2 hours later the xenia was gone.

600k4
08/10/2006, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7914722#post7914722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
[B]That sounds like bristle worms. They are generally OK in the tank and usually beneficial. Flatworms and nudibranch do not have "legs" but are flattened. The nudies can have out-croppings as does this P. brareium
http://www.seaslugforum.net/images/046552.jpg

the first picture is identical of the same worm that i just pulled out of the tank with the exception of color. The one I found was kind of purple/blue.... i will try to look at the other one's in the tank, there are many since I first discovered and I do remember their heads are a red and the bodies are brownish...

WaterKeeper
08/10/2006, 01:27 PM
Right on, Copper + corals does not equal a happy tank! When treating anything remove it from the display unless it has been widely accepted for in tank use. I believe enough people have used the the Flatworm Exit that we are pretty sure it is reef safe. That is why I wasn't sure if it would work on Nudibranchs that are not true worms. I know it doesn't seem to effect round worms and segmented worms such as bristle worms.

600k4
08/10/2006, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7914815#post7914815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 600k4 i will try to look at the other one's in the tank, there are many since I first discovered and I do remember their heads are a red and the bodies are brownish... [/B]

The "other one's" I was referring to appear to be flatworms..

Thanks for all of your help, I have never dosed the tank with copper or any other medication. I do use DT's reef blend phyto daily but that should not have effect the Xenia as far as I know... I always look at the base of the Xenia to see if there is some type of hitchhiker and dont see any. I have removed two dime sized slugs about a week ago, maybe they were the culperit???

kass03
08/13/2006, 12:30 AM
I don't think it's a predator.
Have your temps gone up high? xenia does'nt like it over 80.
Mine go up in the summer sometimes around 83 and my pom pom xenia which Ive had for 3 years doesnt mind but the bar xenia like yours did do that. Mines growing back now though.

Also xenia likes iodine and if you don't do regular water changes you might not have enough iodine.
I like to use reef plus in my tank. My xenia has done much better since I do.

Also take a look at melevs id page for your unknown hitchhikers
http://melevsreef.com/id/

kass