PDA

View Full Version : is my leather ok?

Ehgemus
08/10/2006, 03:35 PM
what is that black spot on my leather, on the left side of the coral. I touched it and it can be pulled off very easy but should I do that?http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100832MVC-007F__Custom_.JPG

Travis L. Stevens
08/10/2006, 04:15 PM
It's probably just part of its old mucous coating. Leathers shed and sometimes the coating is clear, yellowish, brown, and even black.

Ehgemus
08/10/2006, 04:20 PM
so just leave it alone?

russ49merc
08/10/2006, 04:52 PM
I had the same thing like a week ago it is some sort of fungus that was on one of my finger leathers. I turned the flow up on my tank and just waited it out. the fungus did eat a hole in the leather but eventually came off. I did put 2 drops of lugol's iodine but that was it

Ehgemus
08/12/2006, 09:41 AM
here is a update on my leather it does not look any better.
is it alright?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100832MVC-0_Custom_.JPG

russ49merc
08/12/2006, 09:47 AM
move it to get more flow on it.... are you running carbon?

Ehgemus
08/12/2006, 09:52 AM
yes i am running carbon. and i did move it to get more flow. is it ok?

russ49merc
08/12/2006, 10:07 AM
it looks like it has some kind of fungus. i would do a medium size water change put some lugol's iodine and wait it out.

Time will only tell

when was the last time you changed the carbon?

if it's been a while I would change it.

Ehgemus
08/12/2006, 10:13 AM
corbon was changed a week ago. I did a water change this morning.

tinyreef
08/12/2006, 10:23 AM
did you siphon any of the black/darkened material out? if not, i would siphon as much out as possible (even siphoning some of the whitened areas now to get any trace of it).

higher flow and aggressive carbon (switch 3~4 days) are good suggestions. if you dose lugol's or tech I, i would do so. if not, i wouldn't bother (just for concern of overdosing).

if the black mass comes back (after siphoning out) i would blow it clean or siphon out again. you're trying to keep the infection or fungus or whatever at bay.

you may have to excise the infected zone out, so be ready to snip/cut a pizza pie section out. it depends on the coral's flesh. if it's really crumbly when you siphon i would cut out the section after siphoning out (think of it as a gangrene infection). if the flesh is still somewhat intact and not too soft (depending on the species), i'd leave it alone and just keep watch over it with the cleansing schedule. hth

Ehgemus
08/12/2006, 12:10 PM
ok i siphon as much of it as i could and cut some of it off, here is a picture sorry it is not that so good. i also moved it to a higher flow area,http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100832MVC-002F__Custom_.JPG

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Hendersonracing
08/12/2006, 12:16 PM
mine done that and died...hope you have better luck!

tinyreef
08/12/2006, 12:23 PM
is it possible to get another angle shot? preferably one from/looking at the right side where all the damage is.

don't move it or anything though, if you can't get the pic it's ok. better to let the coral sit and reacclimate itself. make sure you have moderate flow on it (2"~4" per sec.), intermittent flow would be optimal.

what's that slight yellowish discoloration right in the center? is that just the shading in the picture or is there an infected spot there as well? toadies will often develop a "hole rot" smack in the center of their cap/crown for some reason (maybe where their "fat" reserves are the greatest concentration?). if it's rot, i would siphon that area out too.

other than that, right now i would just let it be (keeping it clean, carbon, normal maintenance routine) and hope it can slowly recover. just like a human patient, now after the operation, it's up to the patient to slowly recover. good luck!

Ehgemus
08/12/2006, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7926536#post7926536 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tinyreef
is it possible to get another angle shot? preferably one from/looking at the right side where all the damage is.

don't move it or anything though, if you can't get the pic it's ok. better to let the coral sit and reacclimate itself. make sure you have moderate flow on it (2"~4" per sec.), intermittent flow would be optimal.

what's that slight yellowish discoloration right in the center? is that just the shading in the picture or is there an infected spot there as well? toadies will often develop a "hole rot" smack in the center of their cap/crown for some reason (maybe where their "fat" reserves are the greatest concentration?). if it's rot, i would siphon that area out too.

other than that, right now i would just let it be (keeping it clean, carbon, normal maintenance routine) and hope it can slowly recover. just like a human patient, now after the operation, it's up to the patient to slowly recover. good luck! Is it suppose to have a hole in the middle? mine does and it has been there since I got it. but it does not look bad at all
there is a small yellowish dot in the crevice about the size of a BB.
The coral looks 100% better since I cleaned that black stuff off. I will post more pictures later. Thanks

tinyreef
08/12/2006, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7926782#post7926782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harold Edwards
Is it suppose to have a hole in the middle? mine does and it has been there since I got it. but it does not look bad at all
there is a small yellowish dot in the crevice about the size of a BB.no, they're not supposed to have any hole or crack in the middle. it's usually a sign of duress ime. i just recently bought a new toadie that had a center fissure. but after two days, of cleaning it up and stabilizing it, the fissure completely went away. but that's a bit quick for healing though.

i'd leave the BB alone for now. it could just be a fleshy bump or a 'zoid bud.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7926782#post7926782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harold Edwards
The coral looks 100% better since I cleaned that black stuff off. glad it seems better! give it some time and just stay on top of any of the crud if it comes back. it might return or some sloughing of the skin might occur (clean either off). but don't irritate the coral too much and i think it should be fine, especially if it's looking better in such a short time frame. good luck!

Ehgemus
08/12/2006, 02:39 PM
Ok I just found a hole in the back of the coral it is .5" long and a .25" wide and it is attached to the hole in the middle of the coral It had the black stuff in it to and I cleaned it out to. will that heal to?
also when I cleaned it out some ofthe black stuff got scattered around the tank is that going to cause a problem?

tinyreef
08/12/2006, 03:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7927045#post7927045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harold Edwards
Ok I just found a hole in the back of the coral it is .5" long and a .25" wide and it is attached to the hole in the middle of the coral It had the black stuff in it to and I cleaned it out to. will that heal to? so it was a tunnel connected the two holes? hmm, it could be it just rotted thru...or it could be a coralivore that tunneled its way thru! i'd keep an eye out but still maintain the previous maintenance schedule for now.

the holes should eventually heal up. there's also a chance the coral may split into two heads somewhere along those injuries. different instances will give different results. you may/could also help that process along as well if you wish. *snip/cut* but you can save that for another time/discussion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7927045#post7927045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harold Edwards
also when I cleaned it out some ofthe black stuff got scattered around the tank is that going to cause a problem? i'd clean it up if you can, especially if there's other sarcos around.

and definitely if there's other sarcos of the same species around.

but if there's no other sarcos and you can't get it all, don't sweat it. it's more preventive maintenance than active infectious waste/pathogens imo.

Ehgemus
08/13/2006, 10:11 AM
Here is a few update pictures. Thare was some black stuff on it when i got up this morning and i cleaned it off. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100832MVC-0__Custom_.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100832MVC-0hg.JPG :rolleye1:

tinyreef
08/13/2006, 10:20 AM
what do you think? does it look better over all or about the same or worse? you're right there so you can make the best judgement.

the hole (at least i think it's the hole) on the 2nd pic looks like it has a yellowish border around it. that could be pus-like/infected flesh (probably crumbling or paste-like in texture). i'd clean that off too, if you can.

jut keep the (moderate) flow on it and keep it clean. you may have to turkey baster/blow it clean around the base.

again, if you dose lugol's or tech I i'd do so. if not, you don't have to. if you feel up to it, i'd dose at mfg. recommended dosages.

Ehgemus
09/16/2006, 10:53 AM
Here is two new pictures of the coral,
I looked to be getting better but than it started to rot at the base and was about to brake off so i cut it off the rock. What should I do to save it? Right now I have it on a rock with bridle vale over it, will this help it to attach to the rock? or is that not a good idea?
I thank it can be saved because it still opens up. Please Help:(http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/10083233.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/10083222.JPG

tinyreef
09/16/2006, 11:47 AM
hmm, i'd cut or scrape off as much of the rotting area as possible. you might even have to cut into healthy flesh imo.

is the rot is like crumbly white dust? if so, radical intervention is better than leaving it alone ime.

i would not recommend the bridal veil (tulle) method as that restricts/inhibits waterflow and O2 exchange in the rotting area. i believe the rot does better in such an environment. better to have good flow (not heavy).

an iodine dip might help too. i'm not one to dip usually but such infections/rots are pretty serious imo.

you might even consider splitting the toadie to increase chances of survival (two specimens versus one). i normally wouldn't suggest that either. good luck!

Ehgemus
09/16/2006, 12:42 PM
yes it crumbles like white dust.
Ok I will tank the bridal veil off.
How do i do the iodide dip, I have reef iodide made by seachem. will that work?
also should i just leave the coral on the sand bed?

tinyreef
09/16/2006, 06:03 PM
when i dip (rarely do) i prefer to use lugol's iodine as the iodine source. it's much more reactive. imo, more effective as an antiseptic, which is what i really aim for in the dipping process. 2-drops per gallon as a dip solution is probably more than strong enough (this is very concentrated for lugol's, normally dosed around 1-drop per 25-gallons).

the reef iodide by seachem is potassium iodide (iirc) and may not be as effective, more stable form. kent has a coral dip that i suspect is a type of lugol's prep or similar.

i'd bring it off the sandbed as you want moderate flow on the coral. (3"~4" per sec.). you probably can't get that right on the sandbed without blowing off/moving the sand. intermittent flow would be better than a constant flow.