PDA

View Full Version : pyramid snail id? What do you think?

crvz
08/10/2006, 04:44 PM
I think i found some trouble. What do you guys think? Likely pyramid snails, which sucks for 2 reasons; a) i dont like pests, and b) i leave for moscow in the morning. The clam is showing no signs of trouble (i made him close up like this to get the picture), but i'm sure that could quickly change. I also do not see any on my derasa clam, though that may just be because it is full light and they are hiding out. I did not see any of these dudes when i put the clams in the tank, and i have tons of snail eggs (both white and regular ceriths are in my tank) on my glass, but i dont like my chances. Anyone have links to get these guys out of the tank? I'm sure not much will get done tonight, so what should i do while i'm gone for the next two weeks?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/97852clam_snails.jpg

TWallace
08/10/2006, 05:01 PM
I'd say they're almost definetely pyramidellid snails. I know that many halichoeres wrasses will eat them, but I've also heard that as those wrasses get bigger, they may sometimes eat the clam as well. I have a neon wrasse that doesn't bother any of my 4 clams, though he's not yet an adult.

I'd pick as many off as you can tonight and toss them. I'm not sure how long it takes for those snails to kill a clam, but I'm pretty confident they will spread to your other clam.