PDA

View Full Version : where is my blenny?

jdm0012
08/11/2006, 10:25 AM
I added a lawnmower blenny to my tank on Tues. He acclimated well and was feeding and seemed fine. I took out a sargeant major damsel and a domino damsel before putting him in. I still have two clarkii clowns, two yellow tailed damsels, one blue damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and assorted emerald crabs, scarlett hermits and snails. I am currently trying to trap the blue damsel and get him out as I saw him chasing the blenny. I have not seen the blenny since noon on Thurs., could the damsel have killed him or could he be hinding out somewhere? All water params. are perfect. Thanks for any advice.

Also any tips on catching the damsel, I am using a 2 liter bottle trap and everything else in the tank goes in except him.

John

Jeffrey Porter
08/11/2006, 10:58 AM
any chance it jumped. if it died in the tank there probably wouldn't be much left after one night.

tedmc2
08/11/2006, 11:23 AM
It could be hiding. It's relatively new to the tank plus being harassed by the damsel it has probably found a cave or hole to hide out in.

jdm0012
08/11/2006, 11:28 AM
no sign of him on the floor and there are only two small spaces that he could have jumped out, not likely but still looked and did not see him. He was about 3 inches long. I'm hopeful that he may be hiding somewhere but still a chance he just died. He was very active and feeding from Tues. lunchtime untill Thurs. lunchtime just occasionally chased by blue damsel.

putman201
08/11/2006, 12:04 PM
well... how big is your tank? Cause i went scuba diving and added 2 lawnmower blennies to my tank with a blue devil damsel, 2 yellow damsels, 2 marroon clowns, a purple tang, a juv. atlantic blue, a female squampinnis(i dont think i spelled that correctly) anthias, a 1 1/2 inch panther grouper, a sand perch, and mandarin goby. The blue and yellow damsels chased the 2 blennies around the rockwork a bit but left them alone after about a week. Now everything gets along fine. How big are the damsels? cause its very possible they over stressed your lawnmower blenny but at the same time i have problems finding them even when they are out front on the rockwork cause they blend in so it is possible hes hiding... you could always pull out all the rocks... lmao

jdm0012
08/11/2006, 03:39 PM
my tank is a 90 gal. and the blue damsel is about 3 inches and the blenny is about the same size. Just got home from work and still no sign of him.

still no luck with getting the damsel to go in the trap.....I'm thinking about making a hawaiian sling with a letter opener and a rubberband...lol.

As for moving all my rocks, I don't want to find him that bad lol.

putman201
08/11/2006, 06:13 PM
how about a sabiki rig? lol...

jdm0012
08/11/2006, 07:19 PM
Good news, I found my blenny. He got up over my overflow, dropped down into my filter tray, flipped over the side, made his way through 3 inches of bio balls and was swimmin around in my sump. I looked there before but he must have been hidden on my skimmer and I didn't see him. Well he is back in my tank and looking unskaved from the experience. I will rig something so he can't go over again.

As for the damsel I did try to use a #16 hook and it is still too big he just picks the food off without taking in the hook. I think at this point I'll give him another chance and see if they can get used to eachother.

putman201
08/11/2006, 08:40 PM
trust me... try using a sabiki rig , i've caught so many damsels from tanks with them, not to mention bait from inlets... try using the smallest hooks u can find... i know most sports authorities stock sabiki rigs in the #3 and #4 hook sizes... they dont get much smaller then that

jdm0012
08/12/2006, 03:18 AM
I did try using a #16 which is smaller than a #4 yet was still too big.

putman201
08/12/2006, 08:00 AM
i thought the ratings for regular hook sizes and sabiki rigs were different... cause i know i #8 or #6 size sabiki rig is bigger then a #4.... or i've just been sitting out in the sun to long while fishing

cmsargent
08/12/2006, 10:06 AM
If you're looking for tiny hooks you should try a fly-fishing shop. I have some that are #21 or 22 and they are tiny (I'm talking that size of a fruit fly). My local shop sell hooks as small as 26. I've never tried one that small since I can barely see it much less threat the eye.

Just an idea if your having a hard time finding small hooks.