PDA

View Full Version : Will glass tops filter out light needed for corals?

MarineGirl411
08/11/2006, 11:08 AM
I need a cover for my aquarium. I was wondering if glass tops filter out light needed for corals? I will be using an Aqualight Pro. That includes 150watt HQI and 2 65watt PC actinics. Please let me know. Thank you.

scumonkey
08/11/2006, 11:49 AM
What do you need a cover for?
A cover will trap heat.
Salt deposits can and will build up on the bottom and, block some light.
If its to keep jumpers in try something else, like plastic eggcrate.
Its open framework will allow heat to escape, keep jumpers in and, will direct (bounce) light back into your tank. You need to put the thin edged side facing up.

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 11:52 AM
they do indeed, and cause a couple other problems. First, like you say, they will block out light. 2nd, they dont allow for gas exchange, which is needed to keep your pH high.
3rd, theres no evaporation happening (not much anyways) so your temps are gonna be high probably.

you could build a canopy like i did and it allows for full ventilation, yet nothing can jump out. I just drilled my lights into the hood of it, which opens up and the lights go up w/it.

I can put a pic of it if you want...i'll go and get it in like 2 minutes
But the only thing wrong w/that is you have a fixture...my lights are a retro setup...So unless you've got legs that the light can sit on, that might be difficult...does this light need to rest on something? or is there legs that rest on the inside lip of the tank?

adeliel
08/11/2006, 11:53 AM
what does plastic eggcrate look like??? I'm from the T.dot over here...lol Maybe I've seen it but never knew it was called that.

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 11:55 AM
I also dont like the use of egg crate...its suposedly not sposed to block any light...however i tried 3 dif. kinds before i decided it wasnt gonna work..it just blocks way too much light.

heres my canopy...i have no woodworking skills at all (wich probably shows) but this was just a throw-together job, and i'm sure if you either took your time, knew what you were doing, or both, then you could make it look really nice.

it also cost me about 20 bucks

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/Tank%20Pics/IMG_0211.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/Tank%20Pics/IMG_0210.jpg

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 11:56 AM
i'm also not done w/this..i've still gotta paint it black like all the rest of the furniture in my room

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 11:58 AM
dang...srry for all the posts..i keep remembering stuff right after i post something.

here is my lights

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/Tank%20Pics/IMG_0149.jpg

theres usually 4 bulbs, but as you can see i'm missing one of the actinics...burned out.

fsn77
08/11/2006, 11:58 AM
Eggcrate = plastic light diffuser that is a sheet filled with a bunch of squares (like a grid); desigend to be used for fluorescent office lighting

It's available at home improvement / hardware stores.

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 12:02 PM
yes its only like 8 bucks...but i really suggest not using it

adeliel
08/11/2006, 12:21 PM
for a guy who claims he has no woodworking skills..tha's pretty darn good.

carlsbl
08/11/2006, 12:40 PM
I can verify that egg crates really cut back on the light that hits the inside of the tank, even the white ones. I couldn't believe it but it does. :( My entire living room was brighter due to reflection off the top of them.

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 12:47 PM
lol no really..i dont have any woodworking skills..that would i got from home depot and it was pre-finished lol :) all i did was have my dads uncle (whos very good woodwoker) cut the pieces to the right size and i screwed them together.

oh, but i did put the little knob on the top, and i put the reflectors in ther lol :)

i imagine it will look way better once painted...i used 2 dif. typse of wood as you can see.

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 12:48 PM
and yes, the egg crate did the same for me too..everyone said to just flip it over...i had the wrong side up...no i didnt...i tried it both ways and it was the exact same.

so if you're light can somehow either bolt into the hood like mine does, or if its got legs that will rest on the inside lip, then go for that type of hood..it only cost like 25 w/all the screws, wood and stuff.

MarineGirl411
08/11/2006, 01:31 PM
I need a cover because I have cats that get into everything. They have tried getting into my freshwater aquariums several times. I also need to keep jumpers inside the tank. I also have a bird which flings seed everywhere. I've heard several things. Dr Foster and smith said it won't block light, then I've heard it will. ugh! I also want to cut down on evaporation. Mainly because of my cats which I know will want to get inside the tank for a treat. I will have a sump also. It won't keep gas exchange going? I know that with the coralife aqualight pro you are supposed to use a cover.

FullPull
08/11/2006, 02:57 PM
sir_dudeguy, think about putting some kind of speaker grill material or some kind of mesh over your open ends to keep your airflow and still give it a closed in look?...I think that would look awesome....IMO.

chuckh
08/11/2006, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7921346#post7921346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarineGirl411
I know that with the coralife aqualight pro you are supposed to use a cover.

I have that light and i dont use a cover, i do have to add a few gallons of water every few days when its real hot.

sir_dudeguy
08/11/2006, 08:45 PM
fullpull thats an awsome idea. i'll try it...ive got some old junky speakers that are calling to be torn apart :)

I was just gonna use some leftover egg-crate from when i tried it over the top of the tank. But now i'm thinking the speaker mesh stuff will look cool.

I know that with the coralife aqualight pro you are supposed to use a cover.
actually i think those block out light too...because i have no "filter" over any of my lights and everything is doing great, and i know that many people dont...i'd go w/out the "filter".

as for evaporation...im in arizona, the dryest place in the universe, and i only get about 1 gallon of evap every 2 days or so. And thats w/a 10 inch box fan blowing directly into the open space in the sides, and i've never turned that fan off...been running since i got it 3 months ago :)

MarineGirl411
08/12/2006, 01:33 AM
I think my cats would eat the fish if I leave an open top.