PDA

View Full Version : can i "T" for a MR-1 skimmer

platax88
08/11/2006, 12:20 PM
i just bought an MR-1 skimmer with a mag 12 pump. After doing some research i found that everyone suggests using a preassure rated pump instead.

So i was wondering, can i buy a big enough preassure rated external pump such as the Pan World 200PS and "T" it for my skimmer and return?

Thanks!

Jack

p4ck37p1mp
08/11/2006, 01:07 PM
I have a MR2 with 12" extension, I run a Sequence Marlin (sump in basement, 10' static head) to a manifold where I can control flow to return manifold, skimmer, drain and refugium. I can put more to the skimmer when I clean the tank, put more flow when I don't need to over skim and also use it to pump to the drain for water changes. I like the setup, it is not the most power efficient, however. I'm very impressed with the Marlin so far, it can blast funk out of my tank if I direct a lot of flow to the skimmer. I had a mag24 split before having a basement sump room, not even close to the same flow or skimmer performance.

p4ck37p1mp
08/11/2006, 01:08 PM
Oh yea, the Marlin uses about the same amount of power as the Mag24, it is just built a heck of a lot better, quieter and cooler running. I've heard a lot of good things about the Panworld pumps also.

platax88
08/11/2006, 01:15 PM
thanks p4ck37p1mp ... so splitting is not the issue as long as skimmer gets enough flow?

p4ck37p1mp
08/11/2006, 10:32 PM
You have losses from all the joints, valves, etc. I upped the pump to give me more than I needed. I think the 'efficient' way to do it is a lot less return, some Streams, and whatever minimal pump for the skimmer. That amounts to crap in the tank, more pumps, more wires. I opted for a few more watts. I like it, it works for my needs. Its very simple, I have valves that let me put the power of the pump where I want it.