PDA

View Full Version : 2" Bulkhead's drain rate

Kewlworm
08/11/2006, 05:28 PM
The bulkhead is used for connecting sump to sump. It will have about 700 - 800 gph going through. Will this work?

Thanks!

mudder
08/11/2006, 05:41 PM
You say "drain rate" is this thru the bottom? side by side? Gravity has a habit of doing its thing, even though a lot of people don't figure on it.

Kewlworm
08/11/2006, 08:51 PM
The bulkhead will be on the side of a sump going up and over to the other sump.

What I have in mind is using the bulkhead on a rubbermaid (sump1), then using PVC, route the pipeing up and over in a 20L gal tank (sump2).

Thanks!

MrZ
08/11/2006, 09:08 PM
The size of the bulkhead, length of PVC and number of elbows will determine how much higher the water level is in the rubbermaid tub than the 20g tank once the water flow reaches equilibrium. Care to sketch it up quick so we can take a look at what you are attempting?

Kewlworm
08/11/2006, 11:24 PM
The taller sump will actually be behind the shorter one because I don't have room in my stand, so the total length of the PVC will be around 24".

Thanks!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/124959Sump1.JPG

CoolUsername
08/12/2006, 12:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7924577#post7924577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kewlworm
The taller sump will actually be behind the shorter one because I don't have room in my stand, so the total length of the PVC will be around 24".

Thanks!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/124959Sump1.JPG

I think your going to overflow the rubbermaid.

It looks like you only have around 1" or so space from the water level to the top of the rubbermaid the way you have this drawn. a 2" bulkhead will have no problems handling 700-800GPH with the right amount of water pressure. However in reality to get 700-800GPH you will need quite a bit of head. This means that the waterlevel in the rubbermaid will have to raise above the top of the highest PVC pipe. The amount it has to raise will be several inches at least. This is where the rubbermaid will overflow. The only way to really determine this is to try it out. It is possible that the height of the second chamber is just too high relative to the rubbermaid. The other option is the put a second bulkhead in the second sump. That will give you 2" of extra head.

javatech
08/12/2006, 12:38 AM
And you will over flow #2 when the pump turns off if you try to keep that high of a water line in #1

daddavis1
08/12/2006, 11:09 AM
The hieght of both sumps has to be the same in order for them to be connected. When the pump quits running the water level will reach the same elevation in both systems. I have 2 large rubbermaids connected with 3" pipe but I have alot more flow going than you do. 2" should be sufficient with a straight run for upto 2000 GPH but you want more residence time than that.