PDA

View Full Version : Getting Finicky Fish to Eat Frozen Food

nmprisons
08/11/2006, 06:32 PM
I am picking up a leaf fish in 2 weeks and want to know if folks have any tricks to get fish that usually only eat live onto frozen.

thanks

fantastic4
08/13/2006, 12:01 PM
Try making your own cocktale frozen mix. Scallops, squid, fish, clams, spirulina, brine, etc. blend and feed as normal. If your guy does not take, then you may have to wait to he's super hungry before he will eat it become used to it.

It took my grouper almost two weeks before he would eat my frozen stuff. Now he's so happy on this mix.

zoebeaglezoe
08/13/2006, 01:30 PM
this is a real good food around the Chicago area that one of the small LFS owner makes up himself that fish just go nuts for!!!!!
this is the only place you can order it from.

also you try adding garlic additives to your food

new fish might not eat right from the beginning when introduced

to a new tank 2 of my fish that I added took about 7 days, just be

patient.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RR-FOOD&Category_Code=

Sk8r
08/13/2006, 01:42 PM
As a rule, a gaunt and lean fish will go on and starve itself to death. A fat, aggressively eating fish who finds his food less than he wants is much more likely to take a grab at what everybody else is eating.

FMarini
08/13/2006, 05:26 PM
nm-
this is not a normal fish. Leaf scorpions are finicky beyond finicky. They have very small mouths and are very slow methodical hunters. I was only able to wean 1 leaf scorp over in my many years and I did it using frozen PE mysis shrimp. I would allow the PE mysis to blow into the current and eventually the leaf thought it was food. However I've had success w/ these fish in the past and I always had to feed live foods, ghost shrimp for their entire lives.

LRS078
08/28/2006, 01:48 AM
Get it used to living in a glass/acrylic box vs the ocean first and keep feeding it live (gut loaded ghost shrimp for instance). Take the time to transition him to frozen in time. A clear acrylic feeder stick (or split ended piece of thin airline tubing) holding something dead but making it wiggle often can help entice a fish to eat.

Hope this helps...