PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Baffle Questions

ovrmyhdagn
08/11/2006, 06:32 PM
I am going to buy the glass to baffle a 29 gallon tank into a sump.

The first chamber that the water enters will house the skimmer. After raising the skimmer 4-5 inches, I have about 3 inches to work with to remove the collection cup, maintenance, etc... That will create a baffle at 11" to overflow into a return area, with bubble trap. Is 11" enough height on the first baffel?

I am going to use a mag 9.5 as a return pump. How much area do I need to have a sufficient return chamber? How tall should the baffle be for the return area?

The third chamber will be a refugium. With the tank being 18" tall, can the glass baffle for the refugium that the water will flow over into the return area be set at 17"?

dngspot
08/11/2006, 06:45 PM
I have sort of the same thing under my tank. My baffles are 12 inches high and could even be lower. The only sacrifice is how much water the sump will hold.

CoolUsername
08/12/2006, 12:34 AM
dngspot hit it. Rule number 1 for a sump is make sure that the sump can hold all the water in it PLUS the amount that will drain to it when the power is off.

Return pipes will backflow and siphon some display tank water. The overflow will continue to drain a little. If your really paranoid (a good characteristic) plan for your standpipe seal breaking and all the overflow water in the sump as well.

If you can handle all this water in the sump without overflowing you pass rule #1

CoolUsername
08/12/2006, 12:42 AM
The other rules are all in conflict with each other. You have to find a balance.

Rule #2 is having as much water in the sump as possible helps buffer the system.

Rule #3
The skimmer area wants to be designed large enought to house a reasonable set of brand name skimmers for your size system (should yours fail and you have so shop for a new one).

The water level in the skimmer section will be determined by this range of skimmers as well. Good job on raising the skimmer since you have space this allows more water in the skimmer.

Rule #4
The refugium should be as large as possible. The more space for macro algae, or other critters that might inhabit this space the better. If you have a DSB here yes the bigger the better.

Rule #5
If you don't have an autotop off, the return section should be as big as possible so that evap doesn't burn up your main pump. Planning for an autotop off will help make more room for rules 2-4.

Yes rules 1-5 are all in conflict with one another. The key is finding a balance that will work for you.

Good luck!

CoolUsername
08/12/2006, 12:50 AM
Also remember long drops in water create alot of noise and bubbles.