PDA

View Full Version : Need help with refugium plumbing!

JeffersonReef
08/11/2006, 08:04 PM
OK... heres the deal: 125g tank, non-drilled. Under the cabinet I have 2 seperate tanks: a 30g sump and a 20g tall fuge (drilled). The two are plumbed together. The fuge will gravity feed into the sump via the pvc/ bulkhead, since it is high-drilled about 4 inches above the sump. I am ready to incorporate the fuge. I own 2 hang on overflow boxes: one rated at 1200 gph, and one rated at 600 gph. I have 2 options at this point:

1) Use just the 1200gph overflow. One of the drain hoses from this overflow box will run straight to the sump. the other will come to a "T". One end of the "T" will have a ball valve, which will allow a very small amt of water to pass... maybe 50-60gph. This will run to the fuge, which inturn overflows back to sump. The other line (From the "T"), will run directly to the sump.

2) Use both overflows. The overflow box in one corner of the tank (the 1200gph dual overflow) will run directly to the sump (both lines). The second overflow box in the other corner of the tank will run to a ball valve, and then run to the fuge (same restricted gph), and overflow to sump.

I am using a Mag 12 as a return pump, with almost 5' of head.

I am kinda leaning towards option 2, as 2 seperate overflows means more surface movement in the display. then again, I am wondering if there may be something I havent taken into consideration... will this somehow cause an overflow? Please give some feedback!! THanks, fellow reefers! :)

-Tony