PDA

View Full Version : Mag and Calcium is High, Alkalinity low?

BLANKENSHIP76
08/11/2006, 08:48 PM
I use all Ocean Blend Supplements.

I use salifert test kits for Mag and Calcium

Right now I have a low alkalinity and 8.15 PH, 540 Calcium and 1480 Mag.

I have not added magnesium or calcium in forever nor have I been adding part 1 (PH/Alk). Everything has been good so I have just left it alone, until tonight when I noticed how low the Alk was, so I dosed 90ml on part 1, since I figure I have close to 90 G of water in my 120 between the sump and the tank.

Is this the correct step to take.

By the way even with consistent water changes my calcium and mag have been high.

Any suggestions?

PatMayo
08/11/2006, 10:04 PM
I would stop using the Ocean Blend Supplements. I would only add what YOU can test for.
Calcium, Alkalinity and magnesium.
The Mag is too high and the calcium is as well. What type of salt do you use?

I use IO and have no problems with it.
I would use a good quality salt such as IO and I would just do normal water changes until the mag and calcium levels drop to normal levels.

I would then use Randys 2 part formula to maintain. The Salifert kits are good kits.

Regards,

Pat

Boomer
08/11/2006, 10:17 PM
Ditto Pat :D

BLANKENSHIP76
08/12/2006, 11:15 AM
I use kent salt always have, I like it. I think my level are to high due to the alkalinity being so low.

The main thing I have a healthy and growing tank, all I have lost in a long time is a h magnifica anemone, and I had it for 8 months, which from what i hear is an accomplishment in its self.

I will continue ten gallon water changes until ca and mag drop, I am going add a 2 teaspoons of baking soda to the water change tonight to bring up alk, hopefully this will get the tank burning up some of the ca and mag.

jdieck
08/12/2006, 11:32 AM
Two part Ocean's Blend Two Part supplement for Calcium and Alkalinity had no problem and are a good two part. Just notice that Part 1 is for Calcium and Part 2 is Alkalinity
If your intention was to increase Alkalinity but added Part 1 you might have ended increasing Calcium even more.

Around the begining of the year Kent had an issue with some lot were the alkalinity was almost non existant, if you got part of it you might not have been adding alkalinity with your water changes.
Do you have an alkalinity kit that can tell you the measurement rather than Low, Medium or High?
As a reference to increase 1 meq/lt using the Part 2 of Ocean Blends in a system with 90 gallons you need about 180 ml but you will not know how much to increase it if your test kit doesn't give you a numerical test.
http://www.oceansblend.com/product_imagees/CaAlk32oz.jpg

jdieck
08/12/2006, 11:33 AM
Test the alkalinity of your freshly mixed water to insure it's alkalinity is OK.

BLANKENSHIP76
08/12/2006, 01:16 PM
I have a red sea alkalinity kit. It has a range of numbers but not dkh. I meant adding part 2, I used to use b-ionic and it is opposite. I bet the kent salt could be the problem, I bought 3 buckets of it early in the year???

jdieck
08/12/2006, 01:39 PM
What do the numbers look like? It could be meq/lt which usually goes up to 5 or ppm which usually goes up to 200 ppm

Test a new batch of salt and you may find if it is the problem, if it is then you can have it replaced. Kent was very good at replacing or giving you other products of your choice in excahnge.