PDA

View Full Version : Sump/fuge turnover rate?

Hurt
08/11/2006, 10:19 PM
How large a turnover rate would you recommend for a fuge with chaeto, and same for a skimmer?

James11
08/12/2006, 10:07 AM
3x5 turnover in fuge

bergzy
08/12/2006, 10:28 AM
my bucket refugium method uses about 70x/hour turn over. excellent chaeto growth that fills the fuge every two weeks. i use it on my fo tank as i do zero water changes on it.

anthony calfo's forum used to have a lot of cool threads with refugium tips being one of them...unfortunately, i can not locate this incredible snippets of awesome info anymore as his forum doesnt exist anymore...

bergzy
08/12/2006, 10:29 AM
found it:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=781895

Hurt
08/12/2006, 04:55 PM
Bergzy, thanks for the links...very informative and exactly what I was looking for. They pretty much justified what I have always thought. I personally have a 40X turnover in my fuge and my chaeto grows like a weed. I even went as far as to put some in my overflow (600gph/.5g=1200X turnover) and it really grows like a weed. I've seen many people say that fuges should have a slow flow, and from my experience I get much greater growth of chaeto under higher turnover rates.

bergzy
08/12/2006, 05:24 PM
a lot of the slow flow school train of thought also suggests putting sand and rubble, toenail clippings and leftover dinner bits at the bottom of the fuge.

i have found that...no matter how much flow you have and how random/turbulent it is...it always eventually turns into an icky settling chamber whenever you have substrate on the bottom.

my fuges are bare bottom and couldnt be happier with this set up. if you are having great results with substrate on the bottom...by all means...keep it! maybe just leave out the toenail clippings and feed it to your crazy relatives that comes over unexpectedly! :D