PDA

View Full Version : Why does the top of my water look scummy?

fishgirl1
08/12/2006, 12:15 PM
My water seems to have good movement on the top but most of it looks like it has a layer of scum. I have a 72g bowfront with a Fluval 405 canister filter and a Coralife 125 Super Skimmer. Is this normal and, if not, what do I do about it?

Thanks!

jdieck
08/12/2006, 12:18 PM
It is normal that some of the proteins accumulate on the surface, to prevent this you need surface skimming. A good overflow box configuration were the water to the skimmer is taken from the surface shall be more effective in removing scum and will improve your skimmer performance.

sir_dudeguy
08/12/2006, 12:19 PM
is your current moving across the whole top? and is the scum you're refering to more of a film? if so, just make sure thw you've got agitation (not just flow...you need the water to actually have ripples/current on the top) over all the top of the water.

you will more than likely need more flow for that tank too.

fishgirl1
08/12/2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for they replies! How can I go about getting more flow and surface skimming with the things (filter, skimmer) I have now? I have only been at this a month and I would hate to have to replace something already......

Thanks for the help!

bufu11
08/12/2006, 12:45 PM
powerheads are the easiest option IMO, and and overflow for the "scum" on the top

theatrus
08/12/2006, 12:46 PM
How are you feeding your skimmer? If its an intake pump, try moving the intake of it higher up.

fishgirl1
08/12/2006, 12:55 PM
My intake pump for my skimmer is about 5 inches below the surface. Maybe I can move it up some. I will try that and see if it helps!

Thanks!

jdieck
08/12/2006, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7926655#post7926655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishgirl1
My intake pump for my skimmer is about 5 inches below the surface. Maybe I can move it up some. I will try that and see if it helps!

Thanks!
You might be able to enclose the pump in a box or bottom closed pipe so the water enters from the top and acts like a surface skimmer/overflow.

fishgirl1
08/12/2006, 01:58 PM
OK, so my current plan is to move my skimmer intake pump up and to get a powerhead to increase water flow. I have done a little looking online at the available powerheads and I am clueless as to what it is that I need and want. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!:)

I am so thankful for the New to Hobby forum. I promise to come back when I figure out what I am doing (in about 50 years) and answer some other new person's questions......!

sir_dudeguy
08/12/2006, 02:03 PM
yes i agree...just get another cheap powerhead to blow across the surface

Shagsbeard
08/12/2006, 04:46 PM
Better than moving your skimmer intake up is to move the surface of the water down. This is easier than it sounds. What you do is to create a very small overflow "cup" that your intake sits in and water from the tank spills into. In order to decide how big a cup to use, you need to figure out how many gallons/hour your skimmer is using and how much edge length your cup would need to match, or exceed actually, that flow rate. That way the skimmer would actually be drawing water from the surface.