PDA

View Full Version : T5 retro fit how to

JCnflies
08/12/2006, 06:19 PM
I am trying to see if I need to hire an electrician to retro fit my T5s. I have changed outlets and helped hang standard floursecents, but have never worked with a ballast before.

Am I nuts or do these retro fit kits really not include directions? I didn't get any....... seems kind of strange - or the manufacturer has a twisted sense of humor!

First, I can't see how to lock the wires into the endcap. I think I get which color goes where based on the ballast diagram.

Is there a website where the how to T5s is diagrammed or explained? Thx.

jessezm
08/12/2006, 06:28 PM
Oh man, it's really easy--you'll see. if you look at the endcaps upside-down, you can see two holes. just strip the end of your wires and stick them in there--they are self-catching. Just give it a small tug to make sure it's locked in. Also, make sure you do this AFTER mounting the endcaps to the standoffs. Just follow the colored diagram on the ballast for what wire goes where. As for the power cord--just remember, green is ground, black is hot, and white is neutral.

JCnflies
08/12/2006, 06:33 PM
Thx. I got an ice cap ballast, and noticed there is no plug going from it to a power source. Can I pick this up at Home DEpot or something? Or did the ballast forget to include one? I also bought another set up 2 (the first was for four) and it included the plug wire.

jessezm
08/12/2006, 07:08 PM
I'm surprised there was no plug, but I guess some of them do not come wired...

Yes, you can use a plug from home depot. Just get whatever length of 14-3 rubber wire you need (that's three 14-guage wires in an insulated rubber housing) , and a 3-pronged lead. Should cost you about $10. connect the black to hot, white to neutral, and green to ground.