PDA

View Full Version : My first Nano Reef

dangpride
08/13/2006, 09:15 AM
hi guys,

im new to the world of saltwater reefs. ive ordered my nano cube 24g like 2 months ago. the first one i received after 3 days and the glass was cracked at the bottom.

after sending it back, i received my new one 2 weeks ago. on friday i just added 15lbs of liverock. what do u think of my aquascaping?

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6813/12806si9.jpg

i will pry buy another 5lbs of liverock next week and add it at both sides...

regards, dangpride :cool:

sophia101
08/13/2006, 10:13 AM
Very nice! Yea. it will be great if you could add 5lbs of LR. Good luck with the tank.

dangpride
08/13/2006, 11:20 AM
i have a question for all ppl, who run a nano 24g also:

do i really need a skimmer? as far as i know there is no skimmer, that fits under the top. but rite now i dont have no money for new lightning to take the top off.

ive read somewhere about a surface skimmer that was specially made for the nano cube. would that thing do the work?
i will not put too much fish in my tank later on. just 2 Gobiodon okinawae and a few Thor amboinensis.

regards, dangpride

kass03
08/13/2006, 12:32 PM
You don't HAVE to have a skimmer if you do regular water changes. Skimmers are nice and pull out more waste from the water but not necessary.
I read that fission skimmer does'nt work very good but dunno myself.

The rock looks very nice the way you arranged it but you do need more.
Also you kind of want to make level shelfs out of the rock if you plan on placing corals on it.
It can always be rearranged though when you get more stuff.

kass

sophia101
08/13/2006, 04:49 PM
Honestly, i agree and disagree with kass03. Sincec a 24 gallon isint really that big of a sw tank if you do frequent water changes you really shouldnt need a protein skimmer. Skimmers do help but for a 24g its not necessary. Its really up to you..if you have the budget for a skimmer go for it. just done use the fission nano skimmer...i heard its terrible. Ive never used it but almost everyone whos used it have posted bad things about it. I heard it just productes a lot a lot of bubbles but nothing else at all. So, good luck!

dangpride
08/13/2006, 05:03 PM
Hi ppl,

right now my budget isnt that big that i can afford a protein skimmer. still i have another question:

in the nano cube tank there are three filter compartments. when i received the tank there were like bio balls and ceramic rings in there. do i need that stuff? i wasnt sure what it really was, so i took everything out beside the spronges and charcoal. should i take those out too?

also i saw many ppl on this forum putting all kinda live rock and algae in the sump?

would be glad if somebody could help me out
regards, dangpride

iNfaMous_reeF
08/13/2006, 05:13 PM
keep up the good work

dangpride
08/14/2006, 12:19 PM
thanks mate, nobody got any advice about the sumps for me?