PDA

View Full Version : overheard in a lfs...

Sk8r
08/13/2006, 10:23 AM
:eek2:
Customer: I had some live rock but it went bad.
Owner: How did it go bad?
Customer: Well, it turned all brown. So I threw it out and got some corals for my fish to hide in.
Owner: [alarmed] What sort of corals?
Customer: Well, just corals.
Owner: [great relief] You mean dead coral.
Customer: I don't know.
Owner: Is it white?
Customer: Yes.
Owner: Well, you need the live rock. The dead coral won't help you. Dead coral is what the reef is built on. But it becomes live rock after it turns brown.
Customer: [blankly] Oh.
[Exit customer, having bought one 1/2 lb rock in a bag.]

Reef_bones
08/13/2006, 10:35 AM
LOL... I could never own an LFS...I think I would not make money due to not selling things to people without them understanding first what it is and what it does. Most Customers don't want to here it...

Mr31415
08/13/2006, 02:47 PM
Scary! But then again - after visiting many LFS's the past couple of months I believe that.

The best is the local Indian guy - typical of an Indian he is a master of selling stuff.

LFS: "I have just received a large shipment of prime LR - the best quality"
Me: "Is it cured?"
LFS: "Yes it is 100% cured - just put it in your tank."
Me: ... going home, smelling LR. Rotten eggs... Hmmmmmmmmmm I guess the Indian bloke forgot about transportation and die-off - requiring another curing cycle.

vanmo92
08/13/2006, 02:58 PM
I'll belive it. That customer obviously hasnt descovered reef central.

smcdonn
08/13/2006, 03:00 PM
Trust me, I am 8 months into my tank and I would probably be in his boat if I wouldn't of found this site. Did you say 1/2 lb of live rock?? UMM, would that be enought to keep a hermit crab?

vanmo92
08/13/2006, 03:03 PM
I started my tank w/ 1/2 lb of LR. but then again i didnt get coral.

mg426
08/13/2006, 04:18 PM
YEP the same sad story most of the time. Foretunatly I have a LFS where the owner is pretty good to me. mabe thats because of all the knowledge I got from RC.

Reef_bones
08/13/2006, 04:23 PM
One LFS in my area will tell you don't listen to anything you read on the internet..He says its abunch of idiots with no clue and if you listen to them then your tank will surely crash...The funny part. His wife posted pictures of thier in store stingray tank on the local reef club forum here on RC....GO FIGURE..