PDA

View Full Version : This is why I am bein so patient

Cynfull653
08/13/2006, 12:43 PM
Yipeeeeeee.....................

I have feather dusters on a couple of my lr, one of them is fairly good size I just put it in my tank yesterday is there anything I should be doing to feed or make their stay more comfortable???

these are very cool..........
:rollface:

theatrus
08/13/2006, 12:58 PM
They're filter feeders, so something like cyclopeeze can be used. But in general they get enough food from the aquarium water column that you shouldn't worry too much.

Sk8r
08/13/2006, 01:38 PM
They'll thrive with phytoplankton, like sponges. You may want to consider phyto as your tank develops.

christian1966
08/13/2006, 01:48 PM
I never directly feed the feather dusters in my tank and I have tons of them. I'm sure they have no problem filtering out what ever floats around in the water column.

AquaReeferMan
08/13/2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah I never directly fed the one I have either. I will dose the tank some phyto every other day and they seem to be fine.

Sk8r
08/13/2006, 03:06 PM
On the other hand, I started dosing for my crocea clam and my mandarin's copepods, and lo and behold, I have sponges---little specks of sponge have become yellow balls, white balls, and a large blue vein tracery across my rocks that sometimes stands up in little attempts at fans. I really enjoy the sponges. Feed the microstuff and you never know what you'll get. In my case, it was good. ;)

Cynfull653
08/13/2006, 03:23 PM
Ok so what is phyto can you get it at lfs??

bertoni
08/13/2006, 04:53 PM
I use DT's. LiquidLife BioPlankton and the other cryopastes are also good, and much less expensive. The cryopastes seem to cause more problems if overfed, though.

Sk8r
08/13/2006, 05:12 PM
Phyto is phytoplankton, and plankton is the stuff that swims as oceanic 'soup' and is eaten by microlife [and whales.] There is bioplankton, and there is phyto[plant]plankton, one being animals [ranging up to krill], the other plant, ranging over many species of algae. This is why corals don't eat phyto: they're carnivores, or rather, chemivores. But sponges, dusters, copepods, amphipods, and various other microlife all eat phyto. Live phyto means exactly that: it comes in your lfs refrigerator and you have to ask for it. DT's is a good brand. It will smell a bit, but your tank thinks it's wonderful. I use Phytofeast, another good brand of live plankton. It must be kept refrigerated, and don't let Uncle Harry assume it's a meat sauce.

Cynfull653
08/13/2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks all for your responses, I do alot of reading & searching but lots of good advice her..........

Sk8r LOL I think it depends on wich Uncle Harry, Brother-in-law Harry, Mother-in-law Harry,,,,,JK