PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser fears

inadaze
08/13/2006, 05:38 PM
I have just recently bought a container of Kalkwasser because I have heard such good things about it. I bought it mainly add with my replaced evaporated water. But after reading the warnings on the container and many others throughout books and forums I have developed a fear of adding it to my aquarium. I just started a new 50 gal with nothing but a cleanup crew inside.
Does anyone have any comments on the use of Kalkwasser? should I worry? Does anyone have any advice/direction about how to use it properly (I have read the instructions on the container but given that aquarium keeping is won through experience and not exact science I want to know if any one has had success and how was it done).

Thanks
Jason

freddie40
08/13/2006, 05:44 PM
As long as you drip it SLOWLY with a mixture of 2 Teaspoons per gallon you will be fine. If you were to dump the kalk in quickly you will raise your PH too high and you WILL have a disaster.

I use a peristaltic pump (Like an IV pump) to drip my kalk, 2 drops per second, 12 hours per day (opposite the lights).

Dave

bertoni
08/13/2006, 07:56 PM
Limewater can be overdosed, and that can lead to problems. In addition, the pH rise from its use can be a problem. I'd suggest watching pH and alkalinity carefully for your first drip. Adding vinegar to the mix can help control the pH, for example.

This article goes into details:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

timespinner
08/13/2006, 11:22 PM
I'll second the above - just wanted to add that I've used it successfully for over three years now, and I'm sure there are others that have a much longer track record. The key is to add it slowly. You will need to adjust how much Kalkwasser you add per gallon depending on your levels of PH, Alkalinity, and Calcium.

inadaze
08/14/2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I will read the link and try it out (SLOWLY). Hope the next time I post it will be good news!

Cheers,
Jason

rigleautomotive
08/14/2006, 08:22 AM
i dont think you will need cal supplement in a tank not stocked with animals that consume calcium quickly.water change should keep paremeters in line.if you test and need cal or alk to be raised then dose.its safe if done correctly.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/14/2006, 12:00 PM
I've used limewater as the calcium and alkalinity supplement for my system for more than 10 years. Few people actually have problems with it when used as recommended.

PatMayo
08/14/2006, 11:21 PM
I have been using it for several months now and I can't add it quick enough. I dose 24/7 with saturated limewater. In addition to this I have to dose about 90 to 120 ml of randys 2 part each day. I maintain my calcium at 410 and the alklinity at about 2.8 to 3.2 meq/l. I need to upgrade my dosing pump so I can add more limewater. I have a fan that will evap more but no way to get it in the tank fast enough.

I guess that is my next investment.

Regards,

Pat

PatrickJ
08/15/2006, 12:00 AM
I doubt anyone can get 2 tsp in a gallon of water 1 at the most! I doubt pure H2O will do it.

Save your money. Do 1 tsp. Drip it in slow. Use it to replace evaporated water.

Easy!

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/15/2006, 07:03 AM
Why do you not think 2 tsp will dissolve? The solubility of calcium hydroxide in pure fresh water is well known, and assuming you are talking about level teaspoons, it is on the order of 2. It is exactly 1.5 grams per liter (5.7 grams per gallon) at 25 deg C.

With a loose bulk density of 22 pounds per cubic foot (0.35 grams per mL) and a packed bulk density of 35 pounds per cubic foot (0.565 grams per mL), that 5.7 grams takes up between 10 and 16 mL, which is 2.0 to 3.2 teaspoons.

It is also not hard to attain that solubility. It is easily monitored by conductivity, with saturation around 10.3 mS/cm.

That said, you may always have some insoluble calcium carbonate in it that will settle out, regardless of whether you use 1 or 2 teaspoons per gallon.

PatrickJ
08/15/2006, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7942724#post7942724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley

That said, you may always have some insoluble calcium carbonate in it that will settle out, regardless of whether you use 1 or 2 teaspoons per gallon.

I see. Thanks for that info. I always thought that was insoulble CaO(s) .

So where does the calcium carbonate come from? From the Kalkwasser product, or does it come from the water (means of interaction of CO2(g) in the air, dissolving into the Ca(OH) solution?

I was worried about that oneday and I went to a websearch and found lab grade CaO(s) and it was $500 per kilogram. What is a better alternative to get purer kalkwasser?

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/15/2006, 11:06 AM
I start with CaO, which hydrates to Ca(OH)2 and then dissolves into Ca++ and OH- in the fresh water. Many people start with Ca(OH)2 itself. You can buy either CaO or Ca(OH)2 quite inexpensively in very large (group) buys from distributors of the Mississippi Lime Company.

Carbonate/bicarbonate comes from the combination of OH- with CO2 from the air once in the aquarium:

OH- + CO2 --> HCO3-

rigleautomotive
08/15/2006, 12:27 PM
randy,a quick question if you would please.will pickiling lime need any preparation to be used

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/15/2006, 02:51 PM
Aside from dissolving it in fresh water and slow dripping, no. :)

reefinmike
08/16/2006, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7942724#post7942724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Why do you not think 2 tsp will dissolve? The solubility of calcium hydroxide in pure fresh water is well known, and assuming you are talking about level teaspoons, it is on the order of 2. It is exactly 1.5 grams per liter (5.7 grams per gallon) at 25 deg C.

With a loose bulk density of 22 pounds per cubic foot (0.35 grams per mL) and a packed bulk density of 35 pounds per cubic foot (0.565 grams per mL), that 5.7 grams takes up between 10 and 16 mL, which is 2.0 to 3.2 teaspoons.

It is also not hard to attain that solubility. It is easily monitored by conductivity, with saturation around 10.3 mS/cm.

served:)

PatrickJ
08/17/2006, 11:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7951719#post7951719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefinmike
served:)

1.) Was that really needed? Come on really. I was misinformed by my own expiremental observation. Alot more than most people can account for.

2.)Thank you for making point that I do not have a Doctorial in Chemistry.

3.)Plus when you say served...it's better if you say the information to serve the person.