PDA

View Full Version : Empty 2.5G...Yellow Clown Gobies??

zoster.keeper
08/13/2006, 08:31 PM
Hi. I have an empty 2.5G tank that I am wondering what to do with. I have asked around so I think I go with a nano reef tank with a Yellow Clown Goby. I know nothing about any of this so I'll start my research. Any of your advice would be great. Hope to hear from you. :D

sir_dudeguy
08/13/2006, 08:40 PM
check out my thread...same exact thing basically...but i start talkin about clown gobies later on.

mine (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=903118)

hth

mike

noschmo
08/14/2006, 02:01 PM
tank too small to control parameters easily for a fish. Set up a little tank with snails, crabs etc until you jump up sizes a bit and get some experience. I keep one orange diamond goby in a ten gallon on my desk at my office and get a big kick out of watching him sift fine sand thru his gills, move crabs, rocks around to his liking. Make it simple to start. I have 4 larger tanks all set up differently for various types of critters.

sir_dudeguy
08/14/2006, 04:18 PM
ya if this is your first saltwater tank i wouldnt recomend it either, but if its not, then i dont see why you cant do it. Try doing a sump like my thread talks about somewhere...i'm planning on using a 10 gallon tank for a sump....that would allow for a little more bioload, but theres still hardly any room...the general response was that only 1 clown goby could be kept in there, and thats w/a 10 gallon sump to take care of the bioload and balancing parameters.

noschmo
08/14/2006, 06:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7938489#post7938489 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
ya if this is your first saltwater tank i wouldnt recomend it either, but if its not, then i dont see why you cant do it. Try doing a sump like my thread talks about somewhere...i'm planning on using a 10 gallon tank for a sump....that would allow for a little more bioload, but theres still hardly any room...the general response was that only 1 clown goby could be kept in there, and thats w/a 10 gallon sump to take care of the bioload and balancing parameters.

She wants to use a 2.5 gallon tank and your talking about her also using a 10 gallon sump?? Makes no sense at all. She might as well jump up tank size. The original question involved a poor goby in a 2.5 gallon. Thats it! rollface:

zoster.keeper
08/14/2006, 08:39 PM
You know, I've been asking around and all I want for that tank is a simple setup. I thought that some java fern and betta would be easy and fine. I plan to raise the betta in an excellent environment.

sir_dudeguy
08/14/2006, 09:34 PM
wait...you're wanting to set it up as a freshwater tank? If so, that can easily be done. Walmart sells a freshwater mini pc bulb that screws into any clamp lamp or whatever that i've had great results with. I'd say for java fern that light would be plenty.

also, if you plant it heavily enough, i've heard of people going all natural on the filtration, so you may not need any filter, but you would still need just a little bit of flow.

supraeli
08/14/2006, 09:41 PM
yes, a nano-reef is not simple. go with the betta - just remember to change water regularily as they are quite susceptible to fin rot in dirty water conditions.

java fern, java moss, and anubias would do fine under a mini clamp light.

i doubt filtration would be really needed, but definately water flow should be provided - use a tiny powerhead, or overflow filter.

sir_dudeguy
08/14/2006, 10:01 PM
ya i've got a whiper 20 on a 2.5 and its perfect flow for freshwater tanks imo. hardly puts out anything

zoster.keeper
08/15/2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone. Yah, I don't think I'm up to the challenge of a nano reef yet. I'm already busy enough with my seahorse tank. Thanks for your replies.

Can I have gravel for the java fern, java moss, and anubias?