PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing from overflow to sump - hard pipe or soft tubing?

hebdo27
08/13/2006, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I'm about to plumb my overflows down to my sump and was wondering which way would be best....hard piping all the way or just the elbow out of bulkhead followed by soft tubing all the way down to the sump. So far I've been told hard piping is better and chance of it slipping out of the sump are zero, but it will be noisier than the soft tubing. ANy experiences/suggestions.

Thsnk

reefnetworth
08/13/2006, 10:10 PM
45's have less restricted flow than "L". flex, is better IMO, than PVC. stainless steel hose clamps, as long as they are not in water will hold barbed fittings just as well. you may have to purchase an adapter for bulkhead connection. REEF-ON!

koga57
08/13/2006, 11:25 PM
Flexible PVC is "not" real flexible. Go to home depot and check it out. If you have a short distance, look at "spa flex".

David

hebdo27
08/14/2006, 10:34 AM
That's what I've read in the forums. Looks like I will probably be going with an elbow coming out of my bulkhead to a barbed 1.5" and then Spa Flex.

jessezm
08/14/2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think spa flex goes over a barbed fitting--It is my understanding that you would glue it with PVC cement into the slip end of a mptXslip adaptor, and screw the male end into the bulkhead. That's how I did mine, at least, with the addition of true unions (that way you don't have to worry about turning the entire length of pipe when you thread it into the bulkhead).

CoolUsername
08/25/2006, 12:46 AM
Yep, Spaflex is intended to be glued in place with normal PVC solvent in normal PVC fittings.

outy
08/25/2006, 01:10 AM
i use clear tubing

no need for anything else

Jester
08/25/2006, 06:36 AM
I also use clear tubing...

SDguy
08/25/2006, 07:38 AM
Another vinyl tubing user. Easy to replace if/when necessary.

Bulkhead + threaded barb + vinyl tubing = done. Depending on the length, the hose clamp is up to you. FWIW, my vinyl tubing is 1.5"

MJAnderson
08/25/2006, 07:39 AM
I switched to PVC and it's just as quiet after a few days to get some slime built up inside the pipe. I switched just because I wanted to use a larger pipe than 1" to reduce water noise and it was easier to use PVC converters than a bunch of barb to barb converters and clamps.