PDA

View Full Version : I would like to raise my PH a little... best way?

slavearm
08/14/2006, 10:53 AM
Current Parameters:

Salinity 1.0235
PH: 7.96 - 8.08
Alk: 8.8
Ca: 405
Mg: 1290

I do use Ca reactor, and Kalk for nightly topoff. I have about a 20G refugium that is lit 24/7 and grows an insane amount of cheato (I am removing 2-4 gallons of cheato weekly) I am thinking I would do myself a favor by increasing the PH to the 8.1 - 8.2 range.

So... would the best way be to do a little kalk slurry, or maybe a small addition of baking soda? Or maybe just buffer up my next water change water to 8.3 or so?

Thanks,

Slavearm

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/14/2006, 11:50 AM
Baking soda will drop that pH and raise the alkalinity, so it is not a good way.

Increasing the evaporation to allow more limewater, and having more aeration with fresh air are the best ways to raise pH.

This article explains why:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

slavearm
08/14/2006, 12:53 PM
Not sure how I am going to evaporate more water. I have 4 fans blowing on the surface of the water, and 1 large fan in the sump.

1000G/hour From sump to tank
500G/hour Closed loop with chiller that is pointed at the surface of the display tank that makes the top very turbulent.
4000G/hour moving in the display
and 1 Giant Skimmer (way oversized)

I am currently using a kalk reactor for my topoff, so I can't really increase the lime concentration in the water either.

So any other options? I read the article prior to posting. I am pretty certain the low PH is due to my CA reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/14/2006, 02:12 PM
OK, if you are maxed out on fans to increase evaporation, I'd try to bring more fresh air to the room. Excess CO2 in it is what often drops pH, but the article shows how to diagnose that.