PDA

View Full Version : Oops! Thermometer mishap!

Buddyboy
08/14/2006, 09:26 PM
Hi all!

I just broke my thermometer in the tank a few minutes ago. I didn't see anything ooze into the tank, but a bunch of little balls fell into the sandbed. I tried to get most of them but there are some still around. Do I have anything to worry about? Are they lead balls? :eek2: Thanks for any information!

Bud

rgaskins
08/14/2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure, but I would like to know also...Hope everything is ok for you...

_K_E_P_
08/14/2006, 11:18 PM
Silver balls? Mercury, Very very bad for humans (makes you go crazy with enough in your system) don't touch with your skin. Don't know what it will do to tank but I would get as much of it as possible. :S

rgaskins
08/14/2006, 11:28 PM
Omg, be careful...

PatrickJ
08/14/2006, 11:42 PM
Those silver balls are lead (Pb, on the periodic table) to weight the thermometer so it will float correctly in a tank.

You should still get it out of your tank.

Dubbin1
08/14/2006, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7941816#post7941816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by _K_E_P_
Silver balls? Mercury, Very very bad for humans (makes you go crazy with enough in your system) don't touch with your skin. Don't know what it will do to tank but I would get as much of it as possible. :S

The weights are not and I repeat NOT made of mercury. I doubt that they will cause you any problems.

Buddyboy
08/15/2006, 10:34 AM
Looks like I panicked a bit! I tried the ole Magfloat and it worked! I was able to use it to attract all the little balls that the baster had missed. Not mercury, not lead, PHEW! What a pain though! Maybe i'll buy a digital therm next. :D Thanks again for all your suggestions!!