PDA

View Full Version : lights and macro algae for my sump

nozzano22
08/14/2006, 09:27 PM
Hello all,

A bit new to all of this but reading alot and would appreciate some help.

I have a 50 gal live rock, reef, fish, tank and would like to see about adding some macro algae in my sump to help control nitrates.

My question, since my sump sits in the bottom of the stand I will need to add a light, so what is the minimum I can get by with?

AND,

Will the light affect my bio balls in the other part of the sump?

Thanks

Mike

graveyardworm
08/14/2006, 10:13 PM
Here you go. http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

nozzano22
08/14/2006, 10:25 PM
Excellent, but for my second part of my question, can I simply add the macro algae to my sump and add the light on top? or do I need a separate tank, or do I need to shield my bio balls in the other part of the sump?

Thanks

Mike

graveyardworm
08/14/2006, 10:32 PM
Adding the light is going to cause micro algae to grow which may or may not be a problem for the bio balls. I had a hang on wet dry with BB subjected to light and didnt experience any problems. The macro should be in an area of the sump where it wont interfere with any pump intakes. If your sump contains an area like this then you should be okay.

nozzano22
08/15/2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks Gravey, ordered my bulbs today, starting the search for the macro tomorrow!

nozzano22
08/21/2006, 03:58 PM
So, I just got my bulb, and have my cheato in the sump.

last question (maybe) how many hours a day should I leave the light on ?

Thanks

graveyardworm
08/21/2006, 05:44 PM
People here seem to have different preferences with the light cycle. 12 hrs on 12 off should be fine. I keep mine 14 on, and 10 off. Some people run it on an opposite cycle from the display to help maintain a steadier PH through the 24 hr period, you could monitor your PH and see if this may be necessary for you. Still other people run theirs on 24/7. A bit overkill IMO, but it works for them.