PDA

View Full Version : ?? ADDING PYGMY ANGEL to my TANK ...

greenfroggiespawn
08/15/2006, 02:25 AM
I have a 90.
Tank inhabitants include:

1-YELLOW TANG
1-ROYAL GAMMA
2-FIREFISH

I want to add 1 PYGMY (CHERUB) angel in it, followed by 2 pairs of CLOWN.

This will be my final tank list.

My question is, what experiences do you guys have with the CHERUB ANGEl and clams, sps, reef? Do they really devour inverts? I've read that they are GENERALLY safe.

I know they are a hit and miss, but I would really want one.

wayne in norway
08/15/2006, 06:51 AM
You already have the answer.....

They're generally safe, but are a bit and miss (more hit than miss)

2fishy
08/15/2006, 07:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7942272#post7942272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenfroggiespawn
I have a 90.
Tank inhabitants include:

1-YELLOW TANG
1-ROYAL GAMMA
2-FIREFISH

I want to add 1 PYGMY (CHERUB) angel in it, followed by 2 pairs of CLOWN.

This will be my final tank list.

My question is, what experiences do you guys have with the CHERUB ANGEl and clams, sps, reef? Do they really devour inverts? I've read that they are GENERALLY safe.

I know they are a hit and miss, but I would really want one.

These are aggressive little monsters when it comes to adding new fish! So I would make sure that you add any peaceful fish that you are considering first! I ended up madly rearranging all of my live rock in hopes of detering it from harrassing the 2 new peaceful fish that I added. He managed to stress himself out pretty badly, but made it just fine, and so did the new fish! Me, on the other hand, didn't fair as well!:lol:

greenfroggiespawn
08/15/2006, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna have to think about this one. I would hate to have to chase it around nor will I compromise my inverts.. lol

DOH !!

What other recommendations would you guys suggest?

KDodds
08/15/2006, 02:02 PM
They're aggressive, slightly less so than damsels. I have no idea what Wayne is talking about, maybe he's never actually kept them, but Cherub's are about as dangerous to corals as Damsels. They don't feed on them in the wild or in tanks, usually. It would be more of the aberration than the norm to have a C. argi that consumes corals.

TWallace
08/15/2006, 02:09 PM
I'd be more worried about your plan to add two pairs of clowns to a 90.

greenfroggiespawn
08/15/2006, 02:31 PM
Sorry I meant 1 PAIR meaning 2 perculas..

KDODDs,

Have you kept a C.ARGI before? I really dunno what to do lol.. I love thse, and they are cool. I have a fuge, maybe I could just put it there and see how it goes?

KDodds
08/15/2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, and C. nox, C. acanthops, C. aurontonotus, C. loricula, C. bispinosa, all of which I would consider reasonably reef safe with the Flame being the most risky of the bunch, but even then, it's better than a 50/50 shot that you'll be okay.

I'm tentatively considering C. potteri and/or C. aurantia for the 450 which, BTW, houses many "not reef safe" fish, including 3 large Angels (Scribbled, Flagfin, Navarchus), 2 Moorish Idols, and a large Halichoeres Wrasse (H. ornatissimus).

reefshadow
08/15/2006, 03:01 PM
I think argi are usually regarded as the most passive and 'reef safe' of the centropyge complex. I think you'll be fine, and they are so cute!!

2fishy
08/15/2006, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7945101#post7945101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenfroggiespawn
I'm gonna have to think about this one. I would hate to have to chase it around nor will I compromise my inverts.. lol

DOH !!

What other recommendations would you guys suggest?
Mine has never bothered any of my polyps or any of my inverts. I would just say he is like a smaller version of a Purple Tang! Or if you like, an Australian Shephard of the aquarium. He is constantly in everyone's business and really had to harrass the new inhabitants that were added after he! I know, not so bright! But he is like a herding dog. Constantly in and out of the rocks, as if he is counting heads, like he has a compulsive disorder! Once the new additions survived, he pretty much minds his p's & q's, but I think I am going to be careful when adding any other fish because I think this is going to be the same routine each time. Here's a pic...:D

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0766.jpg

dastratt
08/15/2006, 07:52 PM
I'll bet the clowns will hold their own. They are actually damsels (in disguise)!

greenfroggiespawn
08/15/2006, 08:52 PM
I will give it a shot lol..

They said its from the carribean and after looking up, most of the PYGMY comes from there. I will check it out tomorrow and hopefully the one I spotted is still there.

I've decided to keep it in the fuge whil feeding it to see if it's adjusted.

KDodds
08/16/2006, 03:17 AM
??? Most Centropyge are Pacific species.