PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Question

nmprisons
08/15/2006, 01:17 PM
My live rock is pretty high in some parts of my tank (within a few inches of the surface. When I do water changes some of it becomes exposed to the air. Does that matter? Should I try and move snails and hermit crabs off the top of the rocks so that they remain submerged? At this point I do not have any corals in my tank, when I do, do I need to make sure that they stay below the water line at all times or is it ok if they are exposed to air during a water change?

Thanks

reefnetworth
08/15/2006, 01:26 PM
it want hurt, though you might wanna get a cup and splash it or pour it over them if if its gonna take a while (over 30 min) to do a change. (when the tide goes out in the ocean, rocks are also exposed) REEF-ON!

maddyfish
08/15/2006, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you don't waste to much time getting the water refilled.

nmprisons
08/15/2006, 01:36 PM
thanks for the replies...are there some types of corals that I should make sure do not have that kind of air exposure (even if it is just a couple of minutes) because they are either very sensitive to air or can't support their own weight outside of the water (maybe like finger leathers or something) effectively? I am goint to be adding a couple of corals this week and don't want to place them in spots that will be damagin to them in the long run.

xtrstangx
08/15/2006, 01:48 PM
Rock is fine out of the water.

The only thing that can't be exposed is sponges and gorgonians. Everything else (corals, rock, zoos are fine for 30-40 min)